Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Chevy Impala

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2009, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Chevy Impala

Hi, lately when I've been driving my 2002 chevy impala LS car (IN THE SPRING WITH NOW SNOW) my ABS system will kick in randomly and when I accelerate, the car makes a vibrating noise. This also happens randomly when I brake, the brakes will vibrate like I'm slipping on ice. I am not accelerating fast or braking fast. Do you have any idea what the problem could be and what the cost is in general to fix something like that. (the ABS light is not on. However when I accelerate and keep accelerating through the vibrating noise, the ABS light does come on sometimes. But when I restart the car, it turns off)
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

May be a faulty wheel speed sensor. Without a DTC, it would be hard to pinpoint the exact cause. It could be also be a faulty ABS unit. Its hard to tell.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it make noises when turning? My ABS came on and off randomly when my hub assembly went out!
Old June 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try cleaning the electrical connection on each front wheel. Mine had a similar problem. If that doesn't work, then go for more expensive fix.
Old June 1st, 2009, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

yeah, it started coming on when i would turn my steering wheel but now it also does it just when i accelerate and stop.. how to i clean the electrical connection? Thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Behind the front wheels, near the brake calipers there's a snap connector where they plug
together. Clean the metal contacts with sandpaper/steel wool and electrical contact spray cleaner. Sometimes the easiest thing works, if not then go forward with other solutions.
I read somewhere that a lot of good hubs/abs sensors get thrown away because of the
poor connection. The new ones work then becase of unplugging/plugging them in creates a better contact. Let me know if this works or not.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

hey thanks for the info!! i'll try it and let you know how it goes.