Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

engine hot ac off

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2013, 1:39 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by midnyt495
engine hot a/c off comes on immediately, can't be because it's warming up too slowly, runs fine otherwise....
Welcome to the forum....
what year and engine to you have ?

Judging from what others have found in this thread I would suspect the temp sensor as being defective and possibly the thermostat.
Old October 30th, 2013, 4:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue

I've got a 2011 Impala LTZ w/ 48000 miles on it and have the same DIC message. I pulled both fan relays to shut the fans down for highway driving and it corrected itself on the ride home (with the relays out). So I put the relays back in and everything was good for a few days. The check engine light was still on so I took it to my local garage, they reset the codes to clear the check engine light and the problem returned shortly after reseting the codes. The engine wasn't completely warm, but close. Unsure as to what the next step will be. I think I'll try replacing the relays and go from there.
Old December 10th, 2013, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

removed battery cables touched them the cables together for 5 seconds it resets computer message gone.
Old December 10th, 2013, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

but what causes this? car is not hot at normal operating temp before I get serious and get wire diag, has anyone seen a tsb on this problem with a def cause?
Old February 9th, 2014, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem and took it to my own mechanic he found that there was a pinhole in the rubber gasket around thermostat. We replaced with the new GM thermostat and I haven't had the problem since that's at least eight months ago
Old September 3rd, 2014, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine hot/ac off

I have had this problem on my 2009 Traverse for about a year. 90,000 miles
I have had it back to the dealer approx. 8 times.
First time they replace the computer.
Second time they replace the temp sending unit.
Third and forth time they reset the computer and said they could not find anything.
Fifth time they replaced the battery.
The last 4 times they have kept car for days at a time and say they test everything they can think of and cannot find a problem.
I can always tell when it is going to happen because when I shut car off and radio does not go off when I open the door, I know that the next time I go to start car, engine hot/ AC off is on gauge.
It will usually go about 900 miles between resets.
This just happened again yesterday.
I have no confidence in Chevy that they can fix their own car.

Last edited by Vince6ft5; September 3rd, 2014 at 2:00 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 2:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince6ft5
I have had this problem on my 2009 Traverse for about a year. 90,000 miles
I have had it back to the dealer approx. 8 times.
First time they replace the computer.
Second time they replace the temp sending unit.
Third and forth time they reset the computer and said they could not find anything.
Fifth time they replaced the battery.
The last 4 times they have kept car for days at a time and say they test everything they can think of and cannot find a problem.
I can always tell when it is going to happen because when I shut car off and radio does not go off when I open the door, I know that the next time I go to start car, engine hot/ AC off is on gauge.
It will usually go about 900 miles between resets.
This just happened again yesterday.
I have no confidence in Chevy that they can fix their own car.
When does the radio go off?

Not sure on traverse, but there should be a "pin" on the inner door that will compress/expand when the door closes/opens.

I suspect they've examined and tested that?

Have you tried opening and closing the door several times until the radio goes off? Can you examine/pushin/out the pin I'm talking about?

I wonder if that is intermittent.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

I have to manually turn the radio off. this only happens when it is about to show hot engine/ AC off.
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 engine hot ac off

My impala gave me this error message tonight, I also have an annoying tapping in my dash. Everyone I know with an impala has this same tapping issue. Why is my dashboard sounding like it wants to take flight?
Old November 18th, 2014, 9:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine Hot AC Off

Hey everyone,

I wanted to check in with some of you and see your opinions. My car is producing the same error message as posted in this thread - "Engine Hot A/C Off". I wanted to see if you all thought the car is safe to drive and operate on a 110 mile round trip commute daily? I checked the radiator - no leaks, I was a little low on coolant so I topped off the reservoir to the fill line and ran the car for about ten minutes - no leaks but the Engine error message continued to display in my dash. The engine fan is running very hard but no other negatives that I can see at this time. I'm a rookie when it comes to cars and I would greatly appreciate any advice. Again the question here is if I am safe to drive the car a 110 mile commute with the error message displayed on my dash?

Thanks,

Doug

Quick Reply: engine hot ac off