Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

engine hot ac off

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2015, 5:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This should be a recall

Originally Posted by Impala08
Mine was the thermostat needed replacing easy fix but may not be everyones problem. Done a lot of research and started there.
This appears to be an inherent problem and a latent defect. This and the blend door. It is not a wear and tear or lack of maintenance issue.
Old December 11th, 2015, 5:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kathilin
I would like to get help with this issue as well. Obviously, it is a problem with the Impalas. When something it a defect in manufacturing, contractually we should not have to pay for the repairs.
I'm wondering how to "send a private message" as in the customer service reply above?
Old December 11th, 2015, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Engine Hot AC off

I believe this is another of the Impala glitches I've experienced. I say this because it is totally inconsistent. It happens when the engine is cold in any season when the car is first started or while driving or after driving and parking and the restarting the car. I don't thing it's related to any mechanical part because I use my code scanner to clear the code any it doesn't come back for days to months at a time. Other problems I have noticed is the heater control switch will sometime get mixed up and pulling the battery cable fixes it for again weeks or months. The code scanner can't fix it because no codes are generated.
These issues as well as bad door lock actuators, that only last about 4 years, bad ABS brake connector, unfused rear defroster wiring that burns out of its wiring harness, and headlight connectors that loose continuity even without ever being touched. These are the reason I will not buy any more GM products. The door lock actuators are the biggest problem. Four went bad in about 4 years and over a period of about 3 months. To have them repaired by the dealer would have cost me over $1500 dollars. This was a known problem, like the ignition switch but not a direct safety issue so they used them knowingly.
Old January 5th, 2016, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default engine hot/ac off

After changing the temp sensor a year ago and the battery and having my 2009 Traverse at the dealer 5 times to find out why the engine hot/ac on message was coming on and no one could figure out what the problem was, I finally put a quick disconnect on my battery to reset the computer easily.
After ready this thread for the last year and seeing people swearing that if you change your thermostat it will solve the problem, last week I bit the bullet and had it changed for $250.
Went out to start my car yesterday after only putting 100 miles on the car since the thermo replacement and lo and behold, engine hot/ac off.
This is really getting on my nerves.
I may be looking at a new car, but I am hesitant to look at GM because of this and other sensor problems I have had with this vehicle costing thousands of dollars.
Old March 11th, 2016, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default vehicle malfunctioning

I have a 2007 Chevy Uplander that sometimes loses power driving down the road and reads "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" but it will still go just not Strong, almost like it's hesitating to pick up speed, I pull over, turn it off, wait a few minutes and start it back up, then it has full power again.... Sometimes it will stall out while idoling, now today when I started it, the message center read "AC OFF FOR ENGINE PROTECTION" and the fan kicked on, I'm so confused with this vehicle, can anyone help me?
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbeafamily
I have a 2007 Chevy Uplander that sometimes loses power driving down the road and reads "REDUCED ENGINE POWER" but it will still go just not Strong, almost like it's hesitating to pick up speed, I pull over, turn it off, wait a few minutes and start it back up, then it has full power again.... Sometimes it will stall out while idoling, now today when I started it, the message center read "AC OFF FOR ENGINE PROTECTION" and the fan kicked on, I'm so confused with this vehicle, can anyone help me?
Hello jjbeafamily,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing such frustrations with your Uplander. Have you made your servicing dealership aware? If you're thinking you'd like to go this route, we'd be more than happy to contact them on your behalf and review this further. Please send us a private message with your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Thank you,

Jasmine
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 9th, 2016, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

My 06 Impala did this this morning. Telling me "Engine Hot. Turn off A/C" ....A/C hasn't even been on since last summer. Temp gauge read C all morning. I hate my car.....HELP!!! WTH?
Old November 14th, 2016, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Eng

Originally Posted by mikeye
on dash where the odometer is this popped up engine hot ac off. the temp guage reads cold and stays on cold. the engine fan is running. whats going on?
engine hot turn a.c. off, temp gauge dead cold, engine light on, no remote start. I had started the problem 2 weeks ago, it came on and off a couple times then stayed on with the engine light on I can hear fans continually on when started. I did some research and decided it had to be the thermastat. Well changed the thermastat, by following a you tube video. And reset the engine light by disconnecting the battery. Poof it worked so far. If it doesn't and I have any more problems I will leave another message. I wanted to note I have a Chevy impala 2010, with 170000 miles.

Last edited by Lharris; November 14th, 2016 at 8:45 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Replaced thermostat and 2 days later have the same message displaying again

Im new on this forum so bear with me. I know this is an old thread but i googled my issue and this forum popped up.

I have a 2010 chevy impala. 3.5 and got a message stating engine hot ac off. It turned out it was the thermostat. I replaced it and two days later have the same message displaying again and the auto parts place states its the thermostat.

What could be causing the thermostat to keep failing although it was replaced?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. A short in the ECTS circuit can do that. The ECT sensor is a thermistor whose resistance varies inversely to the temperature. The ECM supplies a reference voltage on one wire and ground on the other and then senses the voltage drop across the ECT sensor to derive the resistance. So, a short to ground (bypassing the sensor or short within the sensor) will translate to extremely high engine coolant temperature. ECMs usually contain logic to cope with the condition like turning the A/C compressor off, shut off half of fuel injectors, etc.
Old April 6th, 2017, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Did your engine light come on as well

Quick Reply: engine hot ac off