Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Engine Ticking - How Easy to Remove Oilpan for Access...

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2016, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking - How Easy to Remove Oilpan for Access...

I am purchasing a 2001 base model from a friend of the family sooner than later (already have it at our garage), but I need to get some vehicle specific guidance as so that I can plan my repair best.

He is selling it to me for $500 with 117k on the odometer (it literally was his grandmother's car), however, it had next to no oil in the motor and no visible coolant (though when we checked for evidence of overheating there was none). With that said, it has a knock (more like a ticking) at the far driver side of the motor and we suspect that it was starved for oil, damaged the connecting rod bearing (the ticking), and it's not flowing oil to the top of the motor as well as it should.

The plan is to either replace the connecting rod bearings via the bottom of the motor by removing the oil pan, but I know there are a series of steps outlined throughout the internet as to how to do so (lifting the motor, etc). We've done it on other motors, but never a 3100/3400/3900 series so I wanted to reach out to you guys and get the low down as to if there is a problem with our plan. Also, is there anything I should look for in particular on the 3400 as to why there isn't much oil getting to the valve cover similar to how the 3100 series all had LIM issues?

Worst case scenario, I am planning to invest in a junk yard motor and rebuild it outside the car on our rotisserie in case this one grenades at any point.

Any and all help is appreciated and I can reply to any questions as best I can.
Old September 12th, 2016, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought my son an 05 Impala with 68,000 on it. When I first took it for a test drive, it had a ticking sound from the driver's side. I first thought it might be valve train noise but it was coming from a lower location. Turned out to be a bad flex plate. Might be worth your while to check that first.