Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Feathered tires and vibrations

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2009, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feathered tires and vibrations

First of all, I need new tires. But before getting new tires I need to fix a problem I've had for a while. After about a year of having my 01 empala (purchased in 2004) I noticed my back Toyo tires were feathering in the inside. Like really bad. I still drive on them because the only thing that I notice while driving is a slight humming.

I replaced the front tires since its front wheel drive about 2 years ago. The front tires do not feather or wear oddly at all.

The problem is figuring out what makes the back tires feather before I purchase new tires this fall. Maybe I didn't have the pressure right when I first had the car 4 years ago and thats what made them feather. Maybe the rotors are warped or need replaced. Or maybe I just need an allignment done. I don't exactly know what makes tires feather like this so I am hopeing someone here knows why.

So replace the rotors, just get an allignment done, or maybe the tires are just old and need replaced. The tires are 5+ years old. 2 Toyo tires on the back and 2 Bridgestone tires on the front. I pulled off the back tires and the rotors dont seem to be warped. But when I drive they do hum when driving under 40 mph and when you hit the brakes hard the whote car/steering wheel shakes at times.
Old September 30th, 2009, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

If the feathering on the inside is bad that can cause a huming noise if you still hear the humming noise after tires are replaced could be a wheel bearing. You need to have a 4 wheel alligment done so your new tires dont wear the same way.
Old October 1st, 2009, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Defintiely sounds like your your rear tires are toeing. If you look at the tires from the back of the car they probablly look like they are leaning in toward the car at the top. Bring it to a shop and get a rear alignment done, making sure to get a print out of the camber report. THis report will show you the before and after-alignment specs, which will help you to distinguish if your car was previously out of alignment or not. THEN get some new shoes.