Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2009, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to let everyone know it's still working perfectly! Absolutely no problems at all.
Kindof like the old girl again...
Old July 29th, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called my dealer about this. Says labor is 1.5 hours or about $85 and the part is $53 for a total around $140 for a replacement passlock sensor. Said they had never done a replacement on a 2004 Colorado. Yeah, right.
Old July 29th, 2009, 8:21 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

the colorado uses a totally differnt style of passlock altogether. they do not fail near as often as the old passlock 1 or 2 systems
Old October 13th, 2009, 4:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to bump this old thread but I am having trouble diagnosing the problem with my '02 Express Van which apparently has the passlock system. If the passlock system is preventing the van from starting will the security light be on during the failed starts? The security light will be lit for the initial few seconds upon turning the key to the ON position but then goes out. There is no flashing or any odd behavior of the light. I'm trying to locate the signal wire that people cut while the vehicle is running to bypass the system but wanted some reassurance that this is my problem. I've seemingly tried everything else.
Old October 13th, 2009, 5:53 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

key on, engine off, the light will flash if there is a problem with the passlock system.
Also, the vehicle will start, run for a moment, then stall out
Old October 13th, 2009, 6:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Well thats not good news! I am really stumped. I never get a start and then stall. It will either start immediately and run normal or it wont start at all and I will be cranking until the battery dies. Fuel pressure,spark, etc is all there...any ideas?! When I stop cranking the motor stumbles for a second/a little bit like it wants to start.

it does have an aftermarket alarm system but I dont believe it is the culprit, it works flawlessly. I dont think its even tied in to the extent that it would cause a starting problem either.
Old January 24th, 2010, 4:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the key on, engine off, the security light flashes which shows a problem with the passlock system. Also, the vehicle (2002 Impala) will start and keep running. However, it has happened a half a dozen times where I had to wait 10 minutes to start again after the first start failed. Is the resister wiring the to bypass the system the best fix?
The following users liked this post:
Dustin Walker (November 10th, 2019)
Old January 25th, 2010, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

That system worked very well for me until my whole lock assm wore out even more.

The AC and compass quit working at times. I would have to turn the key to start while the car was running to get the AC, Compass, etc..working. (usually only happened on start up but then as I was drivign along the AC would go out.- Turning the key to start would get it running again) There is a safety in the computer so the starter does not engage if the car is running.

I finally brought it into the dealer for whole key(lock assm) to be replaced.
Old February 15th, 2010, 2:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Possible Pass lock problem?

I just got my truck 2 weeks ago, it has been running great and today it would not start.

I found this thread and it seems the closest to my problem.

Brief Description of my problem:
- Open door and the security light flashes (happened since day one, assumed normal)
- insert key everything's good
- turn key to "ON" position and EVERYTHING goes out, no power in the cab
- in anywhere from 2-10 minutes the power comes back on in the cab
- Turn key again and everything dies, except I got it to start twice in a row but not again

a Couple things I have noticed, Prior to not starting, that may be related :
- If I am playing a CD, everytime I start the truck the CD player shows an error and switches to radio
- One time while starting, the power seemed to glitch and caused the clock on the stereo to reset itself

Thanks for any help, I finally got my dream truck and I can't drive it.
Old February 18th, 2010, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default PassLock Issues (i think)

I have a 2001 Impala. Been getting this issue where the car will not start. It happened a few times over the years, then no issues over 6 to 8 months. Now the issue is happening to me like every three days.

Sometimes, I see the security light on, and sometimes I don't. A few weeks ago...it took the car like a whole day to start. I was out shopping with my son (very cold day) and the car would not start. Had to leave it....came back the next day, car started. Had a tow truck meet me, and had to pay for them coming out. It has happened a few times since, but now the car is down....and wil not start.

I'm wondering if I should bypass the passlock system , or change the ignition switch?

can anyone help me?

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!