Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2016, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 Impala with the 3.4 engine. As soon as the warranty stopped I paid $700 for a new BCM. Dealer really did not have a clue. thing went nuts especially the security no start. A few years late the security problem came back. I installed a remote start by pass that worked for a few years. Now it is starting again. If someone has the proper by pass diagram to get rid of the security system please email it to me at Duncan_charley@hotmail.com I bought this car new and it is worth next to nothing at this time so I am not worried about security. I lock the doors and that is all I need.
Old August 15th, 2016, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

I have always heard that Hall sensor do not go bad but remember the sensor is controlled by a tiny junk transitor embedded in the goo and as it is low bidder it will certainly fail. I have replaced many from the top of my chrysler distributor.
Old August 15th, 2016, 8:45 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by CRDuncan
I have a 2002 Impala with the 3.4 engine. As soon as the warranty stopped I paid $700 for a new BCM. Dealer really did not have a clue. thing went nuts especially the security no start. A few years late the security problem came back. I installed a remote start by pass that worked for a few years. Now it is starting again. If someone has the proper by pass diagram to get rid of the security system please email it to me at Duncan_charley@hotmail.com I bought this car new and it is worth next to nothing at this time so I am not worried about security. I lock the doors and that is all I need.
Originally Posted by CRDuncan
I have always heard that Hall sensor do not go bad but remember the sensor is controlled by a tiny junk transitor embedded in the goo and as it is low bidder it will certainly fail. I have replaced many from the top of my chrysler distributor.
If you have a bypass for the remote start than the sensor cannot be your problem - it isn't even attached. First thing I would do is verify that it is actually a passlock problem and if it is than run through the re-learn procedure (to re-learn the bypass resistor value not the key).

There are 2 ways to permanently disable passlock: have it programmed out or install a tune (Overkill as an example).
Old August 16th, 2016, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1998 Grand AM starting problem

My 1998 Grand AM starting problem is getting worse. All of the fixes noted in this forum seems to be for 99 and newer, which apparently have a different system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 15th, 2016, 1:43 AM
CF Beginner

Default My Solution--2002 Malibu

Problems: Theft System light would occasionally come on. Usually it would eventually go out with no effect. Rarely, I got the disable-the-fuel-pump problem and had to wait 10 minutes with the key in the on position. I disconnected the three-wire cable from the ignition cylinder assembly and cleaned the terminals with electronics cleaner/lubricant. Be sure to dry everything before reassembling. Now: no Theft System problems of any kind.
Old September 26th, 2016, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default Cleaning Ignition Switch contacts worked for me. Thanks

Thank you Jondoe. After multiple mechanics guessing and fortunately I didn't pay them, I found your post regarding the passlock and ignition switch connection. It made the most sense because I had the same issue with the contact points on the driver side window control. I pulled that apart a year ago based on forum feedback and the driver side window switch contact points were also cover in carbon or something. A simple sandpaper and it was good as new.

To complete what you mentioned below, I used
this site to learn how to get the dashboard off.
It is a little tricky to get all the clips unset and used my wife and multiple screwdrivers to separate it. I forgot to open it over a pan to catch all the parts. The springs and pins are very small.

Since re-installing the ignition switch, and it relearned the signal it sends, the car has started every time and no security code thrown.

Additionally, I replaced the speed sensor harnesses to both front wheels as I was getting the Traction Active issues. A trusted mechanic told me those wires break internally by the wheels because of the poor design where they hang down in a loop so debris hits them often. I fixed two major issues by using this forum, my time and $75 for harnesses. Thanks.

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
Old October 28th, 2016, 4:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Passlock

I have a 2000 s10 can you tell me how to completely bypass my passlock my email is john1025bennett@gmail.com
Old October 28th, 2016, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by John Bennett
I have a 2000 s10 can you tell me how to completely bypass my passlock my email is john1025bennett@gmail.com

John, for me, it wasn't a "passlock" issue. It was an ignition switch problem. Ever since removing the ignition switch and cleaning the contact points, it has worked perfectly with no security light or engine "no start" problem.
Old October 29th, 2016, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

For me it was not a passlock issue either. Have 2004 monte carlo. I had the resistor bypass done a month after i bought the car. after that car would start with no prbs each time. Then last month for 2 days, i had to start it twice. I thought nothing of it. The third day i took the car out, and i got back in an hour later , the car cranked turned over and promptly died. No flashing security light. I was stuck but called tow truck, got towed to my mechanic. While i was there i tried the key relearn procedure with key in on postion for 10 minutes. Car started and ran for a minute and died. OK left the car with mechanic. Battery cranking ok, fuel pressure good, ignition coils all good. Weird, NO error codes when diagnostic tool plugged in. Turns out ,it was a BAD MAF SENSOR!!! I never thought of that. Car runs fine now. granted i learned about cars in high school autoshop back in the 1980s. No MAF sensors existed back then ,just early fuel injection. Oh well, live and learn Glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue with your car.
Old November 16th, 2016, 12:46 AM
CF Beginner

Can you send me the diagram pleease of the bypass at isakclouse@gmail.com. i already took ignition switch out wich connectors in particular should i look for coorsion? My yellow wir gets 12v and black zero testrs resistance between yellow wites then spliceds resistors equal to value into black wire but still no start, jumped starter and fuel rail both work mabe no spark idk what to do security light flashing

Last edited by Isak Clouse; November 16th, 2016 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!