Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

front passanger side tire slanted

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2012, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front passanger side tire slanted

ok i have a 2002 impala. the front passanger side tire is slanted. the top pushed in the bottom pushed out. enough where the top inside of the tire is hitting the shock. i jacked it up and wiggled the tire 12 and 6 and there really isn't any play in it. what could this be? i need to fix soon before i lose my job. please help
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

did this just happen out of no where? has it been wrecked? the only thing that would really cause a camber issue is if the control arm or bushings and damage/bad or if someone had the strut loose and was way off when they put it together but I don't think it would cause it to lean that far.
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

bent spindle is one possibility. hit any curbs?

Has someone ground/elongated the holes in the knuckle; where the strut bolts to the knuckle? You will have to remove the bolts to tell.

Last edited by tech2; May 25th, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old May 26th, 2012, 8:29 AM
CF Monarch

Received 351 Likes on 332 Posts

You have to do it quick before you ruin the tire. You are going to have to remove the tire and do a visual inspection. All we can do is guess.
Old May 26th, 2012, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

well i don't drive it like this. i replaced the power steering rack in it and noticed it after i put the tires back on. it does look like the pervious owner hit a curb. i got this car for free so i'm just trying to get it going so i don't lose my job. first off i've never heard of a spindle. can you explain more please. and second i've never replaced a control arm. is that an easy job or no? and at first i thought it might be the steering knuckle is bent? is that possible?
Old May 27th, 2012, 6:33 AM
Super Moderator

Inspect the strut as the strut rod is most easily bent from hitting a curb.
if you can't see visual evidence of a bent component an alignment is the only way to diagnose for the damaged part.

With SAI, camber and Included angle measurements you can determine what is bent.

why was a new rack was put on?
Old May 27th, 2012, 7:04 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
Inspect the strut as the strut rod is most easily bent from hitting a curb.
if you can't see visual evidence of a bent component an alignment is the only way to diagnose for the damaged part.

With SAI, camber and Included angle measurements you can determine what is bent.

why was a new rack was put on?
how do i figure out the SAI, camber and angle measurements? and it was put in because that tie rod was bent a little. so i have no doubt that he must have hit something like a curb or something. how much does it cost to fix something like this. i don't have the tools to take out the strut
Old May 28th, 2012, 5:58 PM
Super Moderator

you will need to get an alignment to obtain these measurements and determine what is bent.
$100 for alignment plus parts and labour for the bent component.