Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Help a girl out PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2007, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a girl out PLEASE

Summary......2002 Impala

upper radiator hose was collapsed. car did not run hot. loss of power on acceleration.
replaced hose. still loss of power. new hose collapsed after car cooled off.

drained and flushed radiator, cleaned reservoir, replace thermostat, and radiator cap. refilled radiator, water is cycling in radiator. still no power. no loss of water or oil. no oil in water, no apparent water in oil. no water in tail pipe.

no problems at idle. when i push it to 4,000 rpms in park the car 'shudders' and continues until i release the accelerator.

when driving...take off is ok, speed picks up until i hit 2,000 rpms, then the car 'sulls' down and if i continue to push it to 3,000 it starts 'spitting and spurting'. stops when i release the accelerator.

when i turn the car off it gives a 'humpf' a few seconds after shutdown.

I would appreciate any input. sorry, i do not explain things very well, so please ask any questions.

I'm at my wits end!!!! PLEASE HELP!!
Old January 19th, 2007, 7:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Help a girl out PLEASE

no idea on the loss of power but the hose collapsing could be the little tube that runs from the radiator neck to the overflow tank could be plugged or maybe a bad radiator cap just a guess... as for it shuttering at 4000 rpm there is a rev limiter that cuts the engine out if you give it alot of gas while it's in park so in other words it's supposed to do that lol
Old January 29th, 2007, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same loss of power with my 2001 impala and thought it was the transmisson turned out it was the cat converter have you ever had it replaced????
Old February 5th, 2007, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

It was the cat converter on my 02. Got it changed under warranty since it had less than 80K.