Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Help with OnStar

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2010, 4:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with OnStar

I had got a 2003 Impala from my boss about 1 1/2 years ago for a really cheap price so I had a better car. And didnt want the OnStar service so he discontinued it. My question is how can I stop OnStar from being powered up, I see the black box in my trunk and it's got medal over it.

The reason why I ask is because the OnStar seems to stay active when my car is off, I can hear the speakers humming for about 10 secs and then they turn off. But last month I had a problem where they had to replace resisters and stuff cause they were fried and wouldnt allow me to change climate settings and such.

Then about 3 days ago my battery was completely dead, which was weird since I brought a new 1 when they did the resister work and they said my alternator was fine. I want to see if the OnStar could be the culprit of some issues and would like to turn it off and see if the humming and such continue.

If I change stuff from the OnStar are my dash lights going to go funky or is it going to turn off my radio? The radio is aftermarket btw, which was put in by a prof and they installed some little white box behind it which they said needed to be there cause of OnStar
Old December 27th, 2010, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Hmm, no1 knows what is gonna happen if I disconnect it?! BTW, what's this code supposed to mean, generator control circuit malfunction, my battery was almost dead again so I had a mechanic read the code and it said generator control circuit malfunction, which he said was my regulator in my alternator not working.
Old January 12th, 2011, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

The onstar unit in my old Pontiac Grand Prix was in the trunk. I never messed with it or had that problem with it killing the battery, but I imagine you can unplug it somehow.

Is yours in the trunk?