Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

hesitation and slight thump getting into the throttle

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2009, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitation and slight thump getting into the throttle

i have an 05 LS that sometimes takes a few to shift to drive from Park or Reverse. lately its been doing this when going from a coast (out of accelerator) to accelerate. not hard acceleration but just to keep highway speed. its not downshifting. the tranny fluid and filter is 20k old and looks fine. my thoughts are torque converter. it has 88k miles.

any thoughts? this isnt consistant but its happening enough for me to question.
Old March 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06, 3.5 Impala was doing the same thing...sort of a delayed thump and then severe downshift to low instead of 2nd as you press down on the accelerator pedal. Thought the tranny was going to crater. Nothing to prove this now, but suspect the concept of shift by wire with an electronic transmission (4T65E) in a newer car. So now I don't push down on the pedal so quickly (like I could with a detent cable system) and she seems to do OK. This probably doens't help you much but maybe one of the tech's has had experience with this particular problem. Time will tell.