Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

high end fusion or low end impala, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2015, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high end fusion or low end impala, any suggestions?

I don't consider the Japanese brands and the budget is limited(around $30000). I test drove some models and I am interested in the 2015 impala 2LT($28883) and 2016 fusion Titanium FWD($28998). These two prices seems decent and nearly are the lowest ones I could find in autopriceshare.com.
I know this is a chevy forum and I want to listen some feedback about the impala reliability and fuel economy. In addition, I hope that someone could share your price with me if you just purchased the same model. Any replies are helpful for me. Thanks

Last edited by hardbalance; May 20th, 2015 at 1:36 PM.
Old April 13th, 2015, 9:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For prices - Truecar.com - if you are around 90-95%, that's a good deal.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

I'm considering these cars too. Here are some random thoughts.

GM has disappointed me in the last decade. The Gen8 Impala (2000-2013) had a sliding section of the steering column called the intermediate shaft. It was dry and it bound with snapping noises while the car was moving. The owners fixed it by drilling a hole in the side, screwing a zerk into it and putting grease in. In all those years Chev didn't change the design or even acknowledge a problem. If you look at the Edmunds Impala forums you'll see many posts about it. Also, the brake rotors warped. I've had several GM cars since the '80s and they all warped their brakes. The solution for me was to stop using Delco rotors and use cheap Chinese rotors instead. Around '02 GM issued a TSB that told us to clean the hub carefully and tighten the wheel nuts uniformly but I don't think it solved the problems. As an aside, is anybody on this board getting warped rotors? Can anybody tell me I'm wrong about any of this?

People here are reporting that after their Gen9 cars are broken in they start to feel vibration at idle and the steering column shakes. It's clear to me that Chev made a mistake in the mounts but they've been silent. I hate to say it but I bet GM ignores it until the car is redesigned.

I drove an Impala and 2 Fusions and I liked all of them. The Chev feels roomy inside but the Ford feels like a compact. The Ford's back seat is no good. The Chev is 9" longer overall but that doesn't explain the big difference in interior space.
I could live with the Chev V6 even though I'm not thrilled by what I see of direct injection so far. The base engine in the Fusion is a 2.5L non-turbo I4 with port injection. That would be okay with me but adding some necessary options forces you to take one of two supercharged, direct injection I4s. I don't want a supercharged engine.

The Fusion Hybrid is quite pleasant to drive. It has a 2.0L port injected engine without turbo. The only thing I didn't like is that every time you touch the brake pedal the car jerks slightly as if the brakes were grabbing. It's really the regeneration switching on but it's mildly annoying.

The deal breaker for me is MyFord Touch (MFT). It's wretched. The touch screen is a long reach, the icons are small, and I couldn't do anything while the car was moving because bumps in the road made me push the wrong things over and over. Sometimes when I touched the right place it didn't do anything and I had to do it again. I didn't mess with the Chev screen much. I hear it's less than ideal but it has to be better than Ford.

In December Ford announced a new screen called Sync3. The MFT name is going away. Ford starts delivering the MY16 cars in May and the literature shows no change so I think it will be MY17 when it's available.

The Chev seat feels good to me. The Ford cloth seat is flat and hard. The leather seat is better but to get it in a mid-trim car (SE) you have to buy a $2500 set of options that includes MFT and a turbo engine.

Right now I trust Fords integrity more than GM. I can't stand MFT so I think I'm going to try to kieep my Chev Lumina on the road 12 more months and wait for the MY17 Fusion. The car is due for a redesign. I'll see what the redesigned Malibu looks like next month and if I really like that I may buy one.

I could go on with more detail but I'll stop here so I don't get accused of posting War and Peace.
Old April 30th, 2015, 6:40 PM
CF Beginner

Got my impala last weekend, thanks
Old April 30th, 2015, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hardbalance
Got my impala last weekend, thanks
Did you get a deal or a steal?!!