Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

High Pitch Whine when Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2014, 11:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Welcome to the forum...not sure what the noise is but this may help understand the ro

in2pro in response to the different causes for a car rolling when in park. i have another less common cause that i experienced personally although i think it is rare. If the splines are stripped on the cv joints where they go through the rotors this can also cause vehicle to roll in park. This happened to my uncles Subaru wagon.
Old May 19th, 2015, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by newcster68
Mine is doing the same but not at hard acceleration just accelarating at normal speeds. It really does it loud when i have my ac on. Could that be the same issue?
Did you find the cause for this? My van is doing this too. Please help!
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by klfoster0911
Did you find the cause for this? My van is doing this too. Please help!
Hey there,

Please feel free to let us know if you'd like any assistance with your van. Although we're unable to offer technical advice, we'll happily look more into your concerns on our end and see what we can find. If interested just PM us your full VIN, contact info, and mileage.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 8th, 2015, 5:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default winding sound

I have a chvy hhr 2011. When I bought it in Feb 2015 it sounded quiet on the inside. A few months ago it developed a loud like muffler sound on the inside while driving 30-60mph. The car drives smooth and the nose is not audible from the out side. What could it be?
Old September 28th, 2015, 9:12 PM
CF Beginner

Default High Pitched Whining Sound

I have 2012 Chevy Malibu that all of a sudden started making a high pitched whining sound at low speeds (when on the highway no noise). I took it to the dealer who did hear it when I pulled into the bay. He said it was the Torque Converter so he replaced it but the noise still happened when they tested it. The mechanic called "headquarters" and that is what they said it was so he is going to try and replace the torque converter again-- my question is, what are the odds of the new torque converter going being bad? And if it isn't the torque converter any suggestions? The car is at the dealership right now. The care is under warranty (thank goodness).

Thank you!
Old February 5th, 2016, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newcster68
Mine is doing the same but not at hard acceleration just accelarating at normal speeds. It really does it loud when i have my ac on. Could that be the same issue?

Sound like you have a tensioner pulley bearing going out
The following users liked this post:
vanarsdale04 (April 24th, 2021)
Old February 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JayGee
I have 2012 Chevy Malibu that all of a sudden started making a high pitched whining sound at low speeds (when on the highway no noise). I took it to the dealer who did hear it when I pulled into the bay. He said it was the Torque Converter so he replaced it but the noise still happened when they tested it. The mechanic called "headquarters" and that is what they said it was so he is going to try and replace the torque converter again-- my question is, what are the odds of the new torque converter going being bad? And if it isn't the torque converter any suggestions? The car is at the dealership right now. The care is under warranty (thank goodness).

Thank you!
were you able to get fixed? What was it? Have same year malibu with maybe same problem
Old July 27th, 2016, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2003 impala base 3.4l

I have had this same problem. The hissing happens during acceleration (only when i am giving the car gas). I have replaced several parts that people told me it might be. (its not the tensioner pulley, ac compressor, or several other parts named...) i am beyond over it. I don' even want to drive the car anymore. I cant get on the highway... Because there is a loss of power when taking off.... Please help me...
Old August 16th, 2016, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Impala Limited

Have the same thing happening to me. Started after I got the car back following a front end collision. Only happens when the AC is on (sounds abruptly ends when I turn the AC off), gets louder during acceleration, quieter during deceleration, and is most noticeable at speeds under 30mph. And of course, the repair shop has had it all day and none of them can hear it (not surprised... shop isn't the quietest of places, and the parking lot is next to the freeway!) It has happened a couple of times while I was in Park, and each of those times it was REALLY loud, but since it happens while I'm driving I can't really record it. Not sure if it's related, but when I went to use the defrost this morning, it sounds like the fan was out of balance and hitting something until it got up to speed. Only lasted a second or two. (Only in MN do you need AC and defrost in the same day!) Suggestions?
Old April 24th, 2021, 1:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Sounds right

Originally Posted by Natt Milligan
Sound like you have a tensioner pulley bearing going out
sounds right, i have the same issue, I did the screw driver test and now going to rent a sound scope to make sure, i will do a video and try to post the before and after sound and drive

Quick Reply: High Pitch Whine when Accelerating