Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala 2001 9C3 rear question

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2006, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala 2001 9C3 rear question

Hi, I have a 2001 Impala with the 9C3 package. I recently had a left rear axle break, and was curious, can anyone tell me exactly what kind of rear end does this car have. Is it a full rear, independant axles, etc.
Is there anywhere I can get detailed specs on it, as far as fixing or replacing it?
Has anyone experienced or heard of any problems with rear axle failure(s) on the Impala.
Thanks in advance, any and all responses appreciated.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Impala 2001 9C3 rear question

The car is front wheel drive so that means the rear is multi link with stabilizer bar and independent coilsprings.

do you have any pictures because I'm not sure what happend.
Old October 24th, 2006, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Impala 2001 9C3 rear question

Here are a couple of pics, I do have more. I struck a LARGE pothole, road depression HARD! An immediate check didn't yield any obvious damage. Approximately 15 minutes later the car veered sharply to the left and I impacted metal cables which are in the median to prevent crossover. As you can see, the impact from the pothole actually pushed up the spare tire well, and apparently bent at least one of the wheel arms.
There weren't any injuries or anything, I'm just trying to figure things out as I'm trying to avoid turning in an insurance claim due to an earlier accident my son had.
What would possibly have been damaged that would cause the wheel to physically come out and make the car turn to the left?
Thanks.
Dave