Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala 2006 LS very basic version - is that possible?

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2008, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala 2006 LS very basic version - is that possible?

Hi, there. I have just bought a preowned Impala 2006 LS. According to the Carfax records - it was a rental car.
And here are my questions:
- is it possible, that they were making Impalas WITHOUT curtain-airbags? Mine seems to have none... [:-]
- the stereo - is it possible to upgrade one? (like it had e.g. RDS or MP3 playback feature)
- the OnStar - mine has nothing like that... and it is a pity.
- the mirrors - are they heated? if so - how to turn it on?
- the flexifuel capability - do ALL the 3.5 V6 Impalas "accept" E85 fuel?

My car is in excellent condition - just 31,000 miles, no scratches, of course - it is certified by Chevrolet. Average mpg - 25.3 - almost 300 miles on Turnpike and in the suburbs. Nice acceleration (previously owned VW Golf TDI 110 bhp - was more aggressive yet with less response to "pedal to the metal" )
Old August 11th, 2008, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Impala 2006 LS very basic version - is that possible?

PM me your VIN# and I'll put into GM VIS and willtell you every option the car has.
Old August 12th, 2008, 1:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alot of rental cars have the Onstar delete option....
I think it cannot be added.... unless you have lots of $$$
Old August 15th, 2008, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

I also just bought a 2006 LT Impala that was a previous rental, 43,000 miles. Also chevy certified. It came w/o onstar (but I hate onstar anyway so that was what I wanted) and no heated mirrors, which I would have liked.

I think all of the 3.5L engines are flexfuel according to fueleconomy.gov.

I think mine has the side head airbags, but not the curtain airbags, according to the std. features listed on autos.msn.com. The curtain airbags are optional but I would think rental companies would just go with std. features.

I also want to look into upgrading the radio, because one big thing I miss from my 03 Impala LS (which is the wife's current car) is the RDS radio. I know I can't upgrade my 03 radio without losing the features menu (set horn beep when you lock with remote, lights stay on when you turn off the car, reset oil life sensor, etc.) but on the 06 that menu is on the instrument cluster, so it should be possible to replace if you can find one to fit the weird shape of the opening.

I am getting over 28mpg with mine, but that is 95% highway driving 30 miles each way to work - much better than 18.6 with my suv that I traded in.

shortbox - my vin is 2G1WT55K669374516. can you look up what GM VIS has to say about it?

Old November 20th, 2008, 8:51 AM
CF Junior Member

I recently purchased my 08 LT and it was a rental from Enterprise. There are 3 fleet delete options that rental companies can get. They can delete side airbags, Onstar and XM radio. Mine does not have the side airbags or Onstar but it does have XM with an expired subscription.

Several years ago, GM made a big point of the fact that they put anti-ock brakes on all of their cars. However, they have quit that and make anti-lock brakes optional. My does not have anti-lock brakes and I find it hard to believe that anybody would sell a new car these days without them. Howeverl, my mechanic said it was just as well with the problems they have encountered with GM anti-lock brakes.