Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala Exhaust

Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala Exhaust

Well, I posted a couple weeks ago looking for some input on the Impala exhaust systems with no response. My 2006 has developed some rumble and after checking it out, I found both mufflers (3.9) rotted on top. Your choices are to replace with the factory system for over $1100 or cut and clamp with some after market mufflers for about $500. The older Impalas are being seen more frequently in the shops with this obviously defective stainless system problem. I haven't had an exhaust rot issue in many years. Very disappointed.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 5:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Dual exhaust rots out much more quickly than single exhaust because they do not get hot enough to dry out the moisture on shorter trips. The moisture sits in there and the system rusts from the inside out. Twice as much heat goes through a single exhaust and it dries out much quicker.
Old September 24th, 2011, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

In some cases that may be true, but I am not convinced. My neighbor had her single exhaust (3.5) replaced last year, at 4 years. She was typically a short trip driver and the mechanic blamed "parking the car in the garage" as the culprit for the early rot. She to was very annoyed by this obviously costly defect. My Impala's first 3 years was anything but a short-trip car as it did 140 miles daily and was rarely parked in the garage. What amazes me is that I previously owned a Bonneville ffor 8 years and never spent a nickel on the exhaust. The exhaust on my wifes 2005 Camry remains solid.
Old October 17th, 2013, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

my father in-law just called his duel exhaust is shot on his 06 impala. same thing mufflers are rotted out. will go to my local exhaust guy and get mufflers put on for $150 to $200. he was also quoted $1100 by his local big guys.