Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala Stereotype

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala Stereotype

I have heard a lot of people say that Impalas are for the elderly or the aged and they are grandma cars.
I beg to differ. Im 17 and own a 04 Impala and i really like my car. I have already put on a new SS version spoiler on it and plan to buy and air intake in the future.
Any thoughts on this stereotype
or im i the only one who has heard it?

IMPALAS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 25th, 2007, 1:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Impala Stereotype

303 hp v8 is hardly a grandpa car. Dont worry about what others think and just enjoy your ride. You can customize it many ways to add your young theme.
Old April 25th, 2007, 2:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lots of people have owned impalas- remember the impala goes all the way back to about 1958. Many also grow up and remember grandpa driving that classic impala. or dad has an impala and he ages too....
then- in the mid 90's the Caprice Classics were either used by Police Depts, or were being driven by older folks.
For some reason it became a favorite of the older crowd.... could be they remember the IMPALAS of the past and were loyal to the name- or the cars were good quality cars.
the civilian models were big cars- some say underpowered yet nice smooth rides.
Then in 1994 they took one of these Caprices and added a corvette engine and beefed up the suspension and lowered it, and offered it only in black......... threw the Impala name and SS on it and a classic was reborn.
Today- I guess some people still believe that....
My gf thought that.... she even said- im going to look old in the car- or shed say how she only saw older people in the 2006/7 impalas.
But- she wanted a car that provided smooth quiet ride and a large trunk. She test drove the SS at the auto show in motion and was impressed.
When it came time to buy- she did not choose the V8, or the 3.5. she chose the one in the middle, the 3.9.
the 3.9 package also offered some of the looks of the SS, with the dual exhaust, larger rims, spoiler, etc.
she loves the car.
Old April 25th, 2007, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

when they see an all black tinted out deeep pounding basss 03 impala coming...i dont think its a grandpa/ma... and dont listen to anyone who has never owned or drivin an impala. alot of young people ride old skool chevys and new skool chevys. its a big mix..alot of old people alot of young people.
Old April 27th, 2007, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

My 21 year old wife wanted one... We looked at the Cobalt, Malibu, Scion, Camry, Charger, and the Impala and I tell you the new Black Impala SS are sick... She has her little toy now and there is nothing elderly about this car. What I love the most about these cars (beyond the bow-tie) is what little needs to be done with them. I will definetely get the windows tinted, and throw some beat in the back (considered 4 flat pioneer 12s - wife wants to keep as much trucnk space as possible). Im not decided on new wheels though. I really like the 'stock' 18s, but I can't help but wonder about 20s.

Here is another thought about the elderly... When I was in college there was a proffessor who was in his early 60s. He had a 69 Impala with a custom built 571 (or was it a 561?????? It was huge). The car was for the most part a 'grand father car' when it sat on the street, but when he lit that bad boy up it moved with a purpose...
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:37 AM
CF Junior Member

i mean impalas have a pretty good body style
i have 2 6X9 Infinity Kappas in the back, so this isn't a grandpa/ma car.
I agree with what everyone else said.

If i have 16 inch rims and want to upgrade to may 17 or 18, would the car handle the same since there are larger tires and rims
I still have to 16' 5 spoke rim. alloy
Old May 23rd, 2007, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

I bought a 2k in Jan. 15k miles My wife and daughter both said I now have a grandma car.

At a steal of a price, sweet sound system, 20mpg city/30 hiway, sweet comfy ride....i'm getting what's left of my hair dyed blue.