Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Impala sunroof 2009 wont close' Schematic'

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2014, 8:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala sunroof 2009 wont close' Schematic'

My wives sunroof wont close so I took the motor out and it will travel the open direction but not the close way.I was wanting to know what might be telling the motor not to turn in the close way or is it the motor but it does travel the opposite direction.This inspection is done with me holding the motor in my hand and disconnected from the worm gear on the cables and by hiitting the close and open buttons. I need a schematic if anyone could help me out on that would be great. Thanks
Old July 9th, 2014, 10:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have a schematic, but with the door windows the motor is reversed by simply reversing the power to the motor terminals. When you have the motor out and was testing, how was the motor hooked up to power one way then the other? With test leads or the actual wiring from the Impala. If you were using test leads, then possibly the motor and/or internal switches could be bad. If still connected to the Impala wiring harness, you could still have a bad switch.
Old July 9th, 2014, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Frank3
I don't have a schematic, but with the door windows the motor is reversed by simply reversing the power to the motor terminals. When you have the motor out and was testing, how was the motor hooked up to power one way then the other? With test leads or the actual wiring from the Impala. If you were using test leads, then possibly the motor and/or internal switches could be bad. If still connected to the Impala wiring harness, you could still have a bad switch.
I had it still hooked up to the impala and hit the open and close switches for the sunroof it wound rotate one way but not the other.
Old July 9th, 2014, 5:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kats2009
I had it still hooked up to the impala and hit the open and close switches for the sunroof it wound rotate one way but not the other.
Then maybe your switch is bad.

If you reversed the power on the motor, like F3 suggested, you could see if the motor worked backwards with your OPEN button.

Probably easier to throw parts at it. Just replace the switch first. Then if that don't work, the motor.
Then if that doesn't work either, then we can find something in between to replace.

Last edited by sledge.impy; July 9th, 2014 at 5:58 PM.
Old July 10th, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Then maybe your switch is bad.

If you reversed the power on the motor, like F3 suggested, you could see if the motor worked backwards with your OPEN button.

Probably easier to throw parts at it. Just replace the switch first. Then if that don't work, the motor.
Then if that doesn't work either, then we can find something in between to replace.
Will reverse the wires on the motor but I did check the resitance on the switch and it was 37 ohms on both forward and reverse so figured it was good. What I am thinking is that something has to tell the motor that it is all the way forward . Thanks
Old July 10th, 2014, 10:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kats2009
Will reverse the wires on the motor but I did check the resitance on the switch and it was 37 ohms on both forward and reverse so figured it was good. What I am thinking is that something has to tell the motor that it is all the way forward . Thanks

Were you able to close it manually?

Sunroof will not close - Fixya

Chevy Impala SS 2005 sunroof wont open at all - Fixya

2002 Chevy Impala Sun Roof Malfunction: Electrical Problem 2002 ...

2009 Chevrolet Impala Sunroof Parts
Old July 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Yes but wont go down.