Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Installing new headunit, few questions.

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2009, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing new headunit, few questions.

First off, I'm not new to the mobile audio world but I've never actually dealt with a chevy headunits. I was reading that I'll need a wiring harness for the car so that everything will work. I found http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120GMRC...&tp=3486&avf=N. But I've also heard that i'll need to put the radio in the trunk to retain REM, the thing where the electronics will keep working unless you open a door or somethin like that. I just need clarification, do I need just the wiring harness or do I need to connect the old radio to the new head unit in so that everything will work.

Thanks.
Old December 9th, 2009, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not too experienced, or professionally certified, but I've installed a lot of new head units on all my vehicles. I have a 98 chevy silverado and I purchased a Alpine head unit over a year ago and installed it myself along with a 800 watt amp and two 10" subs. Since then i have added more. As for the door chimes not working with aftermarket head unit idk, mine worked just fine and i bought no such adapter. Just a standard wiring harness and dash kit appropriate for my model. My buzzer buzzes when my headlights are left on, and the annoying ring belts out when the door is open. One thing i did run into with my pick-up is that it was a factory cassette and cd player. So the top reciever was a AM/FM, Cassette, and lower in the dash was a CD module. Replacing this left a void where the stock CD player was, and I simply went to the local Chevy dealer and got a "cubby" slot to go in there just perfectly. I do know that if your wiring an amp or anything like that keep your power and RCA cables on opposite sides of the vehicle if possible, and power cords away from the antenna port on the head unit. Which reminds me, you might have to get a antenna adaptor depending on the head unit, so keep that in mind also. As for mounting anything in the trunk and connecting to the stock radio, all i have ever head of someone doing is adding like a 6 disc CD changer, and it connects to a radio channel in the stock tuner. Hope i was able to help, i included pics of my install on my pick up, my alpine head unit and two subs in a custom box under the rear seats, and two subs on top of the seats as well..

this is my head unit

this is the "cubby"

box under seat
Name:  DSC00269.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  250.5 KB

box above seat
Name:  DSC00268.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  159.8 KB
Old December 9th, 2009, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 98sRgreat
I'm not too experienced, or professionally certified, but I've installed a lot of new head units on all my vehicles. I have a 98 chevy silverado and I purchased a Alpine head unit over a year ago and installed it myself along with a 800 watt amp and two 10" subs. Since then i have added more. As for the door chimes not working with aftermarket head unit idk, mine worked just fine and i bought no such adapter. Just a standard wiring harness and dash kit appropriate for my model. My buzzer buzzes when my headlights are left on, and the annoying ring belts out when the door is open. One thing i did run into with my pick-up is that it was a factory cassette and cd player. So the top reciever was a AM/FM, Cassette, and lower in the dash was a CD module. Replacing this left a void where the stock CD player was, and I simply went to the local Chevy dealer and got a "cubby" slot to go in there just perfectly. I do know that if your wiring an amp or anything like that keep your power and RCA cables on opposite sides of the vehicle if possible, and power cords away from the antenna port on the head unit. Which reminds me, you might have to get a antenna adaptor depending on the head unit, so keep that in mind also. As for mounting anything in the trunk and connecting to the stock radio, all i have ever head of someone doing is adding like a 6 disc CD changer, and it connects to a radio channel in the stock tuner. Hope i was able to help, i included pics of my install on my pick up, my alpine head unit and two subs in a custom box under the rear seats, and two subs on top of the seats as well..
Thanks. Like I said, i'm no nublet to installing subs and all that good stuff. I was just reading up on what I would need to do regarding the head unit because i've never done a head unit replacement on a Chevy and I wasn't sure. I'm pretty sure that I need the wiring harness for the head unit. The head unit that is going to go in is a JVC KD HDR20. I'll read up on it some more. Thanks!
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Well that looks like a nice HD radio for the price, and user reviews definitely seem to like it. What vehicle is it going in? For the most part, its very straight forward. Just follow the wiring diagram that comes with the harness, dash kits are very simple to install as well. Let us know how it turns out, and don't forget to disconnect the positive battery terminal. =-P
Old December 11th, 2009, 8:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you will need this adaptor to replace the headunit. If you use this adaptor, then you will not need to put the radio into the trunk. Putting the radio into the trunk keeps the chimes through the factory radio, whereas this module will emulate the chimes, and at the same time, providing you will a 12v R.A.P. for the accessory of the radio.