Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2007 | 1:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

can someone describe how noticeable this is?
Old February 1st, 2007 | 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

It can vary. When I first bought my car, I noticed it right away, but it wasn't real noticable. I waited about a week to make sure that it wasn't just me. It has gotten worse though. It will happen only when the engine is running in three cylinder mode. At first I was able to turn the fog lights on so I wouldn't notice it so much, but now I can see the pulsing of the lights over the fog lights. I found out that if I drove in 3 instead of drive, it locks the car in six cylinder mode and the lights don't flicker. The little worse gas mileage doesn't bother me as much as the lights pulsing. As of now, there is no fix. They tried a temp fix, but it didn't work.
Old February 5th, 2007 | 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Well, like ohseven said, my temporary fix did not work. The lights are still flickering like they used to. I will call my service guy today and give him the bad news :-( I bought my car at probably the biggest Chevy dealer here in Indianapolis. They seem pretty confident and knowledgable (sp?) about what they are doing, but this car has a lot of quirks that drive me batty! Like this morning itwas VERY cold out. My gauge on the car read -4F. Then my warning thing started going off telling me my tire pressure is low and the dash light came on. I got out and looked at the tired and they seemed fine to me. I think with the extremely cold air the sensor may not work correctly. Plus, the air inside the tires loses pressure when its so cold out. On the drive to work they gained an extra 4 pounds all around, just from heating up with the road friction, etc. Does anyone else notice this problem? This car seems to have a few too many "quirks" for my liking right now.
Old February 5th, 2007 | 2:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Im not at all surprissed with warning regarding the low air. If youre in an area that gets fairly cold- then this would not concern me.
so your low pressure warning went away once the tire warmed up?
Old February 5th, 2007 | 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Same thing happened with my car this morning. Was -9° this morning and my tire pressure warning was going off. Said the tires were about 24#s each. Went off at 27#. Going to check and add some later this evening when they cool off again. Guess it's normal in this weather.
Old February 5th, 2007 | 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Totally normal thing to happen. We are just seeing this now because these cars are equipped with realtime tire monitoring. When it's -9 out, i'm not gogin to be running around my car with a tire pressure guage. Every 10 degrees of temp drop equals 1 psi of pressure.
Old February 14th, 2007 | 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 3 LT I bought in December. I noticed the light flickering problem right away. I talked to service and the tech said this is normal? I called GM customer service and the rep I spoke with said they are not aware of the problem or any bulletins on it. At least it is a relief to see others have the same problem. Does anyone have an update on a fix?
Old February 14th, 2007 | 8:39 PM
CF Senior Member

I have not heard anything lately. from stuff Ive read- seems that GM was working on it.
Now, we did order an 07 3LT. Should arrive in early March.
When we get it, well see if we notice any of this flicker.
I would guess that if a fix is made. they would apply it to the line of new cars?
Old February 26th, 2007 | 6:29 PM
CF Beginner

I madea visit to another Cheverolet dealership and asked the service manager about the light problem. He told me GM is telling the dealers to tell the complaining customer the flickering lights on the 3.9 engine are normal and nothing can be done. That makes me feel great.
Old February 26th, 2007 | 8:24 PM
CF Beginner

After reading from this site to my GM contact, hefinally admitted there was a problem, but said since it was not a "safety" issue GM is not doing anything about it! I don't know what the cutoff point is when they will fix a defect ona $30,000 new vehicle!This is my 7th and LAST, purchase of a NEW GM vehicle. It is amazing that the GM execs sit in their ivory towers wondering why Americans are buying Hondas.

Quick Reply: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker