Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old August 10th, 2015, 1:59 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2007 | 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker

From what I was told, (my dealer called chevy tech services directly last week) no fix is out yet. But hopefully there will be! There is a TSB w/ the NHTSA about this:
EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
[ul][*]TSB #4354 -- HEADLAMP FLICKER AND INTERIOR LAMP FLICKER. *KB (NHTSA ID #10020849, no date provided)[/ul]
somebody should look this thing up! Also, I just looked on mygmlink.com and found that I have a recall on my vehicle, #07007...wonder what that is for!? I have found that this issue is linked to engine load, so when it switches over to 3 cyl and it starts flickering, I back my foot off the gas and really feather it out for a moment and the lights will steady out, then i can ease into the gas like normal and I can stay in 3 cyl mode and my lights are on steady.
Old February 28th, 2007 | 2:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Doesthis problemhappen onlyat freeway speeds?

I have been looking very closely for this. So far
I have only been on city streets, 35-40mph, watching closely
for any difference when it goes from 6 to 3, headlightsand the
dash lights do not change. My LTZ was made late Dec.06
if that has anything to do with the problem.
Jim
Old February 28th, 2007 | 3:44 PM
CF Senior Member

hey guys- my 07 3Lt is on its way- built the week of Feb 19th. Ill keep an eye out to see if this more recent build shows any problems with this...
Old March 2nd, 2007 | 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

NOT a safety concern? That is BS! What about my lights flickering so badly that other cars seem to think I am flashing my lights at them? It was so bad the other night I thought all my lights were going out! Mine does it all the time, on the highway, city streets, etc. It seems to do it at shift points, and at engine load, like when it is trying to decide whether or not to go into the 3cyl mode, going uphill, etc. I am not happy with this transmission either...it is very rough when it shifts...especially when it is trying to find that sweet spot where it can drop into 3cyl. Why is this not a5speed car? I think the dropping thecylinders at cruising is a good idea, but they still have a long way to go before it works properly. How often do all of your transmissions/engines drop to the3cyl mode? Mineseems to do it all the time...and I thought it was only supposed to be at cruising speeds. Am I just being paranoid? I love the car, but the sloppy transmission and headlighsare really raining on my parade. This is my first brand new GM...I have been a long time Ford fan,thejury isstill out if I would buy another one.
Old March 2nd, 2007 | 2:41 PM
CF Senior Member

hmmm, 1st time I hear of a bad tranny on the impala....
well you hear the typical, but 1st I hear of one searching what gear to settle on...
Interesting.
Ive been seeing this type of complaint over on the 07 Camry side.
Old March 7th, 2007 | 1:27 PM
CF Senior Member

we got out car on Monday. So far Ive driven it 2 times and drove so that I went into 3 cylinder mode on the street and the road... and Im not seeing any flicker yet....
Old March 21st, 2007 | 8:22 PM
CF Beginner

UPATE: So I took a long drive at night cuz I had to, and I'm just absolutely sick and tired of this problem. It hasnt gotten any worse/better, but I havent noticed it until I spent an hour and a half watching my lights blink over the weekend. SOOOO I called GM customer assistance, which I had done a while back and they looked up my file. this time I demanded to speak with someone who could tell me what was going on, and better yet, WHEN they were gonna have a fix. GM is aware of the problem, and everyone was saying "when there is a fix, your dealer will be contacted" well, WHEN will that be? A month? A YEAR!? I spoke to another rep, then a supervisor who finally escalated the case and is going to contact my regional rep. So, we'll see where this one goes. Finally got my remote start working, and working so well I can shoot my car over 1000 feet!!! Now, if I can drive at night without my passengers asking what the hell is wrong with my brand new car, this car will be perfect. I urge everyone to get on GM's *** about this, and help get a "fix" for this problem out sooner. BTW, rarrios, your lucky your new car isn't doing this, and can you post this over to the naioa foums too?
Old March 26th, 2007 | 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

I went to my dealer last week here in St. Louis and he told me they are no closer to figuring out what is wrong than they were six months ago. He told me they have no clue what is causing the problem. When I called GM for the second time they acted kinda angry when they told me they knew nothing about the lights flickering and I told them my service rep showed me the bulletin not to change antything because it won't fix the problem. They ten said the usual, they are workig on it. I think we are being given the run around.
Bobby
Old March 26th, 2007 | 11:22 PM
CF Beginner

this is retarded. I haven't heard from my "regional rep" yet!! I doubt he'll call, so I won't hold my breathe. Does anyone know how to get in touch with anyone other than the stupid 1-800 customer assistance number? They don't do anything there.
Old March 26th, 2007 | 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

and what about getting a GM engineer on site to take a look at this crap?

Quick Reply: Instrument panel lights and headlights flicker