Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

interior lights on 03 police impala

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2008, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default interior lights on 03 police impala

Hello, could anyone offer any help on this?? I have a 2003 Impala Police Car (9C1) that I use in our local fire dept. the Interior lights only work when the head light switch is turned, they do not come on when the doors are opened (I understand this set up this way so the bad guyscant get a look inside at night as a cop gets out of the car at nite) but makes it hard to find fire fighting gear or medical supplies or just gettin in and out of the car at night for me. Ive looked for the switch that control the lights as the doors are opened but I cant find it, any ideas where the switch is? it may only be unpluged. the rearlocks andinside door latches were just not hooked up but were there ready for me to attach them....
Old August 27th, 2008, 6:10 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: interior lights on 03 police impala

The door ajar switches are an integral part of the latch. There should be a connector at the latch. To get at it you'll have to remove the door skinsand reach your arm ins the door. One quick way of telling if they're d\c, is to turn the key on and open a door. The door ajar light should come on. Also turn the headlights on with the key off, open the door....the chimes should ding alerting you that the lights are on.
Old August 27th, 2008, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

all doors cause the chim to sound when doors are opened the head lights will turn off as they should when the doors are opened. I did not know if they worked from a separate switch.... would the BCM control anything like the dome lights? or is it something that I could control thru "settings" on the radio?
Old August 28th, 2008, 5:25 PM
Banned

Not too familiar with the police package, but from what i'm reading, there should be a surveillance mode switch to the right of the headlight switch that is designed to turn off the interior lights and headlights when wanted. Make sure the switch isn't off
Old August 29th, 2008, 4:03 PM
Banned

You stated in a PM to me that the vehicle has a dome light disable feature. I think the dome lights will either need to have the BCM reprogrammed or is just has to be that way. Like I said,I'm not too familiar with the police package. I wil give you a work around though if you are feeling up to doing a little wiring. Not hard at all to do. You may want to get a couple 1 amp diodes from your local radio shack but not 100% neccessary.

What you'll do is send the signal from the door tirggers to the BCM to make it think you are turning on the manual switch at the headlight switch. At the BCM (above the E-Brake), there is a gray 16 pin connector. Install a diode with the gray band towards the bcm into pin A1, Dk Blu\Wht. Install another diode with gray band towards the bcm into pin A8 DkBlu wire. take the other end of the diodes, twist them together with an extension of wire, and attached it to pin B6 DkBlue wireof connector 2 which is also gray but has 24 pins.

If done correctly, the dome lights will turn on when the doors are opened. If you decide to not use the diodes, the only thing that will happen is when you maunally turn on the dome lights, the door ajar light will come on. No damage will occur so if you don't mind the light coming on, don't bother with the diodes.

Hope that helps man
Old September 11th, 2008, 1:31 AM
Banned

Maybe some codes needs to be reset or some wirings need to be checked and fuses need to be replaced. Was your chevrolet impala tail light are included or the interior lights only? Because that happened to my car before, if you need to turn on one light, you need to turn everything on and turn them all off if ever.
Old December 28th, 2009, 3:24 AM
CF Beginner

Smile

Originally Posted by shawnvw
You stated in a PM to me that the vehicle has a dome light disable feature. I think the dome lights will either need to have the BCM reprogrammed or is just has to be that way. Like I said,I'm not too familiar with the police package. I wil give you a work around though if you are feeling up to doing a little wiring. Not hard at all to do. You may want to get a couple 1 amp diodes from your local radio shack but not 100% neccessary.

What you'll do is send the signal from the door tirggers to the BCM to make it think you are turning on the manual switch at the headlight switch. At the BCM (above the E-Brake), there is a gray 16 pin connector. Install a diode with the gray band towards the bcm into pin A1, Dk Blu\Wht. Install another diode with gray band towards the bcm into pin A8 DkBlu wire. take the other end of the diodes, twist them together with an extension of wire, and attached it to pin B6 DkBlue wireof connector 2 which is also gray but has 24 pins.

If done correctly, the dome lights will turn on when the doors are opened. If you decide to not use the diodes, the only thing that will happen is when you maunally turn on the dome lights, the door ajar light will come on. No damage will occur so if you don't mind the light coming on, don't bother with the diodes.

Hope that helps man
Thanks for posting that Shawn.

I registered just to say thank you for the info and idea. I'll be doing that mod, rather than buying a new BCM, $140, it's "affordable", but just for lights? It'd probably need a bunch of setting up as well.

I have a 2003 9C1, and hoped it was as easy as a Crown Vic Police Interceptor, they just plug in a wire underneith to get the dome lights back on.

Shawn, that's a simple but great FIX! To just make it switch on the interior lights with the door open triggers.

Lets see if I got this right.
A1 and A8 are the door triggers? Are they normally open, and ground when doors go ajar?
B6 must be the interior light switch, grounding B6 turns them on?
So when the door triggers ground on ajar doors, the lights turn on. Without the diode, you'd ground them by turning on the interior lights, causing a false door ajar...
This stuff is simple for you guys, but it's pretty tricky for some of us! Thanks for putting it in english for us. Pretty cool!

Thanks a lot!
We all really appreciate it.

David.
Old December 28th, 2009, 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by chankee
Maybe some codes needs to be reset or some wirings need to be checked and fuses need to be replaced.

prolly not codes or fusses. but some rewiring is possible or if that is a "survallence" feature it may need to be turned off with a Tech 2
Old January 15th, 2012, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw

Hope that helps man
Hi Shawn,

I have a 2007 RC1 Impala and would love to apply your suggestion. Is the pinout the same on my BCM, and if not can you please tell me the new pin #'s and wire colors to hook the diodes to? Really creative solution for someone who doesn't have access to a TechII!

Thanks -Jim
Old March 1st, 2012, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

I too now own an 02 impala 9C1 =) I'm not that great at wiring stuff, so I'm stuck just turning the lights on and off as needed haha. I am having issues with my headlights though. Anyone else? If so, visit my thread?

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/imp...52/#post208352

Quick Reply: interior lights on 03 police impala