Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Intermittent fan speed control

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent fan speed control

Hi new to this forum, looks like a great place for a Chevy guy to hang out!

I've got a 2003 Impala police package. I've had it for about three years and from early on I've had a problem with the fan speed controller. It gave every indication that it was a bad switch because when it was having its 'fits' you could make the fan work by wiggling the switch around or 'up and down' a bit. After putting up with that for a while I took the switch apart, cleaned & lubed it and it worked for a couple more months. Eventually I gave in and bought a new controller. That took care of it for a couple of months. Happened again when my daughter was driving it out of state and she had a new controller put in. A few months later same thing. I replaced the resister pack (ouch, my back...) and that took care of it for a while. Fan 'fits' came back and I replaced the controller again about a month ago. Now its happening again.
I suspect there may be some corroded contact somewhere that I need to clean up but I'd like a hint from somebody that may have already gone through this.
Another clue that I get is that when it is having its fits there is concurrent static on the radio. Clearly some electrical wonkiness going on. My biggest fear is that something in all of the extra police package wiring could be at play. Needle in haystack...
Anybody already tackled something like this?
Jim