Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

K&N Air Filter on '03 Impala LS - Are there any Pros & Cons to putting one in??

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, Looks like the increased air flow is not getting your computer to adjust right away. I have not experienced this with any of my cars with a K & N. My guess would be to clear the computer next time you install it , then it will be forced to complete drive cycles. Maybe someone else has a better explanation.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave teh PCM fuse unhooked overnight so it clears. Then drive it normal. It will learn
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
Leave teh PCM fuse unhooked overnight so it clears. Then drive it normal. It will learn
Thats a great Idea! if you dont have a scanner to reset it, those battery cable lugs strip out easy when you remove the battery cable alot.
Old April 30th, 2009, 1:48 PM
Banned

When most people have issues with aftermarket intakes because the pipes don't have holes cut for the MAF so they try to leave it out or dangling. Causing an inaccurate reading.

Switching the filter should not set off any light. The map should read that more air is coming in and adjust the A/F accordingly. There should not be an issue. If it is setting off a light it is probably due to the change in airflow. In that situation I would unplug the fuse as HS said and if it still doesn't go away continue some driving cycles. If still nothing, put the OEM filter back in, see if the light goes away after a while. If not start investigating in something else. I would also recommend scanning the code to see what it's throwing.
Old April 30th, 2009, 1:55 PM
Banned

From what you are describing it sounds like everything is fine. I have not heard you say anything about a light. I don't understand where everyone got carried away.

As you said you did the front brakes. When you took the caliper off did you let it hang there or have it supported by anything (like a coat hanger). Second, did you even check your brake fluid. Third I am not too familiar with Impala's off hand but do the front pads have wear indicator sensors built into them? The caliper could have hit the wheel speed sender or abs sensor. Best thing to do is to take a look around. If you just let the Caliper hang check the hose or the pipe going into the actual caliper for kinks and or dents.

Do the brakes function fine?
Old April 30th, 2009, 3:56 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

When I put my K&N filter in ( I did remove the air box though) I got a CE light & code P0101 MAF performance, I kept reseting it with my scanner ( 4 or 5 times maybe), after a while the computer adjusted to it the best it could and it never came back on. My K&N is getting old and a little rough looking, I might be switching to a cleanable oiless filter soon & make or purchase a air wall for it. I have some fiberglass experience.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; April 30th, 2009 at 4:02 PM.
Old May 1st, 2009, 4:08 AM
CF Junior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by OnDaGround
From what you are describing it sounds like everything is fine. I have not heard you say anything about a light. I don't understand where everyone got carried away.

As you said you did the front brakes. When you took the caliper off did you let it hang there or have it supported by anything (like a coat hanger). Second, did you even check your brake fluid. Third I am not too familiar with Impala's off hand but do the front pads have wear indicator sensors built into them? The caliper could have hit the wheel speed sender or abs sensor. Best thing to do is to take a look around. If you just let the Caliper hang check the hose or the pipe going into the actual caliper for kinks and or dents.

Do the brakes function fine?
It looks as though my 2 threads got intertwined. The brakes do function fine, better than they did before. There are not kinks or dents the brake lines. The calipers were set on the drive shaft which prevented them from dangling. The New Brake Pads are Duralast Gold Cmax and come with metal wear tabs. Also, Brake Fluid was gravity bled out and fluid was replaced as it went down and done this till ran clear. Rear Brakes were never touched.

I did notice some Brake Fluid on the Connector/Sensor thing going into the side of the Brake Reservoir. I cleaned it as good as I could with Q-Tips and canned Air, but that did not make any difference. The Red Message Center "Low Brake Fluid" Light is still lit and on the other side of the dash, the "BRAKE" and "TRAC OFF" lights are still lit and I can not activate the Traction Control. I hooked a Code Reader up and there are no codes.

So, do I pull the PCM Fuse and leave it overnight or did that Connector/Sensor thing on the side of the Reservoir get messed up and now has to be replaced? Where is the PCM Fuse anyway? If I do the PCM Fuse and that does not fix the light issue and Traction Control issue, now what?
Old May 1st, 2009, 8:25 PM
CF Veteran

Well I'm glad I can read.....shoulda read the box. As usual, "less is more". Interesting thread.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 4:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Talking

Only you Gwampa. hehe
Old May 4th, 2009, 7:36 AM
Banned

That sensor is more then likely the fluid level sensor. You should investigate whether or not your reservoir is cracked and leaking fluid. Perhaps when you removed the cap, some of the spray got onto the sensor.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter on '03 Impala LS - Are there any Pros & Cons to putting one in??