Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

low beams don't work

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low beams don't work

hello forum. I'm new here. I'm having some trouble with my 2001 impala. The low beam headlights don't want to work. I checked the bulbs, and fuses. Nothing's broken there. A friend of mine hooked his multi-meter up and found the bulbs to be good, and the switch to also be good. I hit the leads going into the bulbs with my light tester, and both are hot. They're hot going into each bulb. I'm no electrician by any means. I asked the guy at advance auto, and he told me the trouble is chasis ground, its not grounding, and creating too much resistance. I don't know. I'm thinking its a problem with either the relay, or the ground. I can't find the headlamp relay to test it, though. Its somewhere in the drivers side fuse box, but its under the "inside devices" heading. If anyone knows how to fix ths, I'd really appreciate their knowledge! Thanks forum!
Old August 11th, 2009, 5:04 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Look in your manual, and test your fuses, after you test those come back and ill go to step 2
Old August 18th, 2009, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry it took so long to get back on here. I pulled the fuses, they're fine. Bulbs are fine. Switch is fine, and the relays are fine. The trouble lies somewhere in the wiring. I don't know anything about wiring other than the red wire should be hot, the ground wire should be cold. Both wires going into my low beams are hot. Its frustrating as heck. I actually just got done putting my dash back together because I pulled the switch, and the new one wasn't causing the lights to work, either. Hmmm... Any thoughts? Thanks.