Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Need advice on Transmission

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2018, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on Transmission

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with just under 140k miles. It has never had the
transmission fluid transmission fluid
flushed or changed. I am not having any apparent issues with my transmission, however the fluid on the dipstick is a light to medium brown; similar to a new motor oil color.

My question is, Should I drain and fill the pan, and replace the filter? Or will this possibly cause an accelerated wearing of what is left of my transmission? I called over 10 transmission shops in the area, and I received a wide array of answers which included:
A. DO NOT GET A FLUSH NO MATTER WHAT (this was advice from most every shop.)
B. Get your pan drained and filled (those who said this, said that the idea that a change accelerates the wearing process only applies to older vehicles. This just doesnt seem right to me.)
C. At least 5 different people advised that at 140k miles, I should just leave it alone if it is working fine now. They said that emptying any of the fluid that has clutch material suspended in it and replacing it with clean fluid could cause slipping, because the clutch pads no longer have the friction material on them OR in the fluid surrounding them.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old February 26th, 2018, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to know what to do - I know the feeling. My 2003 Impala has the 4T65E transmission with 278K miles and it began having problems. I can only tell you what I did; I'm not a transmission mechanic. I knew that I hadn't changed any of the fluid for 140K miles and then I only dropped the pan, so about 7 qts was changed, or about half of what's in there. So, I disconnected the input line to the trans oil cooler and flushed it out through that while I poured new fluid into the fill tube until it came out clean. I figure the fluid is not under much pressure so it shouldn't dislodge much and it will possibly carry out any debris that is causing problems. I can't understand leaving old fluid in there until you have a problem; it wears out. It can't possibly have the same lubricating properties it had when new. I would at least drop the pan, replacing that fluid and filter. I will only add that the process of changing all the fluid was easier than I thought. There are some youtube videos about it.