Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Need help with code P0742!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2016, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with code P0742!!!

I purchased an 01 Impala 3.8 v6 back in September of last year.... the car runs perfect and never had any issues with it until last week when the check light came on, ran it for codes and got the code P0741 (torque converter clutch circuit stuck off). I found and used a DIY write up to replace the TCC solenoid, I also replaced both shift solenoid and the pressure control solenoid.

Put it back together, drove it (for a total of maybe 28 minutes) to my local home depot and on my way back home the check engine light came back on. Ran it for codes again and now I'm getting the code P0742 (torque converter clutch circuit stuck on). Any ideas on what would be causing this code now?
Old February 9th, 2016, 9:27 PM
CF Junior Member

It may not be the solenoid but the clutch itself causing the issue, the stuck on or stuck off codes may be just the symptoms of a bad torque converter clutch.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply... hope that's not my problem. Did some reading and it may be a bad wire, can anyone tell me what wire to test at the terminal U or anyone have a diagram?
Old February 12th, 2016, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

or does anyone know the color wire circuit 657 is at the trans terminal U?