Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Noise in dash

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2016, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise in dash

I have a 2010 Impala which my son is using for college and summer work. I'm not in the same area of the country that he's in, but he sent me this sound bite of a noise which occurs and is most noticeable after shutting the car off (Noise clip is with vehicle off). He said he can feel a vibration in the area of the glove box. He is not mechanically inclined and may not have the tools (torx etc) to remove the glove box. Any idea after listening to this clip what might be the source of the noise?
Attached Files
File Type: avi
2010 Impala.avi (647.3 KB, 23 views)
Old July 8th, 2016, 3:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the sound coming from/concentrated the loudest? Can you change the speed of it or make it stop by changing something like the blower motor speed, or even by changing the mode from heating or cooling or to off? Is the engine running when the recording was made or was the engine off with the key in the run position? What happens when the key is in accessory mode?
Old July 8th, 2016, 9:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldn't get the file to play on my computer but im betting its one of the air door actuators, they are a very common problem. The internal gears are plastic and like to strip or break, you don't need tools to lower the glovebox just have to push or pull past the stops on the sides or top depending on the model. If you can feel the clicking in the glovebox area its most likely the recirculation door actuator or possible the right temperature control actuator if it has dual temp control

got the file to play, sounds exactly like a stripped actuator

Last edited by cleveland63b; July 10th, 2016 at 8:47 AM.
Old July 8th, 2016, 9:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Please post the fix when yo find it - that's a great noise, should be easy to figure out!