Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Original Impala Questions!

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2016, 12:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original Impala Questions!

We are the owners of a 1959 Chevrolet Impala two door. It is equipped with the 250 hp 348 c.i. motor, powerglide, pb, ps. We restored it in 1992, and are now doing a "refresh". My current question relates to the starter. Neither the 1959 Assembly Manual nor the 1959-60 Shop Manual Supplement give the part number for this starter. This part number is imprinted on an aluminum tag, which is affixed to the case. What is the part number?
Secondly, the Shop Manual, Sec. 9-4, states that, "Both series and compound motors appear the same externally. Therefore, an identifying strip of tape will be attached to the full length of the field frame on the compound motor only." What is the color, width, and length of this tape? Where on the cylindrical case is it affixed?
We love this car, and want it to be as correct as it can be. Any help you can provide will be sincerely appreciated!
Old December 30th, 2016, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce St Gean
We are the owners of a 1959 Chevrolet Impala two door. It is equipped with the 250 hp 348 c.i. motor, powerglide, pb, ps. We restored it in 1992, and are now doing a "refresh". My current question relates to the starter. Neither the 1959 Assembly Manual nor the 1959-60 Shop Manual Supplement give the part number for this starter. This part number is imprinted on an aluminum tag, which is affixed to the case. What is the part number?
Secondly, the Shop Manual, Sec. 9-4, states that, "Both series and compound motors appear the same externally. Therefore, an identifying strip of tape will be attached to the full length of the field frame on the compound motor only." What is the color, width, and length of this tape? Where on the cylindrical case is it affixed?
We love this car, and want it to be as correct as it can be. Any help you can provide will be sincerely appreciated!
This should be a standard 12 volt starter.
Old December 30th, 2016, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
This should be a standard 12 volt starter.
Kevin,
That is what we thought, also. However, there were at least two starters in 1959. One, commonly called "low torque", was used in the inline 235 c.i. six cylinder and 283 c.i. eight cylinder engine, and the other, called the "high torque", was used in the 348 c.i. eight cylinder engine. The former is called a "series" motor, and the latter is called a "compound" motor. We have the correct starter. Now, we want to correctly identify it, per our original post. Thanks!
Old January 1st, 2017, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

There's another question we'd like answered. The "high torque" or "compound" starter motor was supported on the front end by a steel strap that bolted to the side of the engine block. While companies like Late Great Chevys sell the correct strap for the 283 c.i. eight cylinder engine, there's none available for the 348 c.i. engine. We've never seen the strap, nor do we know where it attaches on either end.
Old January 1st, 2017, 9:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce St Gean
There's another question we'd like answered. The "high torque" or "compound" starter motor was supported on the front end by a steel strap that bolted to the side of the engine block. While companies like Late Great Chevys sell the correct strap for the 283 c.i. eight cylinder engine, there's none available for the 348 c.i. engine. We've never seen the strap, nor do we know where it attaches on either end.
appears you are doing a repair on a restore don't know about part numbers. A compound motor is the higher torque such as a V8. Asking a part number reference here is probably not going to get you what you need as a 59 model is , well as it is. I can post some links that might help with a restoration parts.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Kevin,

Thank you. Interestingly, the part number for the six cylinder and small V8 starters are given in the Assembly Manual.
But not the part number for the big V8 starter.
Old January 6th, 2017, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Don't know if this will help but my 1960 ***. book shows a 1107664 Starter, for V - 8s, I just put a rebuilt in my 60' any the through bolt they use to have in the top of the frame had been replaced with a standard bolt. to remove it and remount it with strap in place. Or you could get a piece of all thread like they use to use and put a nut and washer on the end like original. I would think the Late Great strap would work on a 59' 348. the blocks should be the same externally. Or make one up out of strap steel.
Old January 7th, 2017, 12:48 AM
CF Beginner

Hello, Beachbum!
Funny, that's what my friends think of me; been surfing Swami's in Encinitas for 52 years. Now, as to that part number - is your starter in a 283 or 348 motor? If it's a 348, that might be the correct number! The repair manual, Sec. 9-4, indicated the 283 had the same motor as the 235 C.I. six.
I think I'm following you regarding the support strap connection. One of the two bolts securing the end plate, through the starter case, and into the pinion gear housing, has a threaded extension that extends beyond the hex head. The support strap probably bolts to that. The strap then goes over to the side of the engine block, and is secured with a bolt and washer. Now, there are two threaded holes in the drivers side of the 348 block. I'll have to look and see which one would be appropriate to support the starter. I bought some galvanized steel strap, so I can make my own providing I know approximately what it looks like. I need a picture.
Old January 10th, 2017, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Beachbum,
The rebuilder called this morning, and said he looked the starter part number up in the Delco Remy book. It is listed as "Hi Torque", and the number is 1107712.
He said it is listed as a starter for high compression motors. I don't think mine is high compression; it is the 348 with 250hp. The high compression 348's have
domed pistons (among other mods); mine does not. In fact, it is very happy with 87 octane gas. Nevertheless, it is a big motor, and the "Lo Torque" starter
doesn't work very well. I did find the six cylinder automatic starter motor number is 1107894 (Sheet 18.00, 1959 Assembly Manual), and the 348 engine (high
performance) starter motor number is 1107688 (Sheet 1.00, 1959 Assembly Manual). On Sheet 20.00, there are two starters shown: The top one is 1107664,
and looks like it's for a 283. The bottom one is 1107652, and it looks like it's for a six cylinder.
Still don't know enough about that strap we've discussed. There's a picture of a strap on Sheet 20.00, listed as 3742856 brace. I think it is for the 283 motor,
which will not fit on a 348, per Late Great Chevys. Maybe someone else out there has some ideas?