Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

P0521 Code

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 5:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0521 Code

2007 Impala 6cylinder
code: P0521 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/Performance

I had the oil changed at J.Lube about 2 weeks ago. Monday the check engine light came on. After work read code, erased, came back on the way to work the next morning. Oil was low by maybe a quarter quart. I added oil, reset code and it came back.

Researched Google and other ppl with code said the remote start would not work. Tried the remote start and it does not work.

No valve ticking, no leaks, no other symptoms.

I really believe it is the sensor, but I am unfamiliar with Chevy. This is my mother's car in which I am borrowing. She has no faith that I can do anything on car (ie. J.Lube oil change). She doesn't know about the light and would like to change the sensor rather that see her spend a bunch at the dealership.

I am asking:
1)Does it sound like sensor problem? I have found info that seems they can definitely go bad.

2) What is a good online site to order Chevy parts from? Low price is nice but I rather pay a little more and support a company that has good reviews from Chevy enthusiast.

3)Where is this thing? I read it was near the filter, but haven't gone in there yet.

4)I assume I can check the oil pressure manually by removing the sensor and putting a gauge on it? I saw online that there might be a fitting you can directly plug into.

I really appreciate any help. After searching google with so many limited results I finally found a good forum! There are so many "professional answer" sites that pop up now...

-jesse
Old February 8th, 2012, 6:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil pressure sensor is just above the oil filter behind a heat shield. I'm not trying to blame the J.L guy but it makes me wonder if some damage weren't done to the electrical connector or harness.
Old February 8th, 2012, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

I didn't point the connection out directly, but it did pass through my mind. Odd that it would show up 2 weeks later. That's why I haven't shown up on their doorstep screaming yet. I also watched them as close as possible and they seemed fairly professional, but also....well jiffy.
Old February 8th, 2012, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Is this sensor a common failure? I tried to be detailed in my first post and realized I didn't give the mileage...doh! It is @ 55.263.
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:29 PM
CF Veteran

No, they aren't prone to failure but there can always be an outlyer. But, I'd just soon worry about a real problem like blocked oil pickup or failed relief valve or oil pump. These are all outlyers given the low mileage, though.
Old February 8th, 2012, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

In the shop we would start with a mechanical oil pressure test, however if the engine is completely quiet then the chances are greater then 50% that it is the switch itself. The switch is more than likely less then $30. It is possible that wires or connector could have a problem. The chance that Jiffy Lube did anything is very low as the problem would have happened almost immediately. Unless MAYBE then used cheap or wrong oil.
Old February 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you both for the help. Looks like it is leaning to the switch. I assume the"switch" is the "sensor" the code refers to. I don't see j.l. using an oil that doesn't work with the impala. Lord knows they probably have done a ba-jill-ion oil changes on them since 07. Is the following part what I am looking for?

Duralast/Oil Pressure Switch (PS629) | 2007 Chevrolet Impala 6 Cylinders K 3.5L Flex Fuel | AutoZone.com