Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Passlock problem or other?

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2012, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passlock problem or other?

My car won't start at times. Usually after driving it for a while. I go to start it and it sputters but won't start. I took it to a chevy dealer and they said there is nothing they could do because the car thru no codes and they could not duplicate the problem. I am so fed up with this car. . from what Ive read I think it might be the passlock but I have a few questions to try and pinpoint it

First question: If it is a passlock problem and it cuts your gas, does your car still try and turn over and sputter or does it just not turn over at all?

Second question: How can I tell by looking at the dash if the pass lock system is active. Does the light come on and stay on, or does it flash? Usually in the past when this happens I just turn the car off and I never get a security light. Someone said if it is the pass lock, I should get a flashing light in my dash. Is this true?

Thanks in advance, I would love any help or feedback.
Old January 8th, 2012, 6:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The SECURITY telltale should come on when you first turn the key ON. If it starts flashing when you turn the key to START and then keeps on flashing, the BCM went into the Passlock tamper mode. What it does when that happens is not really consistent across models and years. The engine will either start and stall shortly after OR not even crank at all. Try some fuel system cleaner like Techron?