Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Problem: 1964 6Cyl Impala 3 speed manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2010, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Problem: 1964 6Cyl Impala 3 speed manual transmission

Hello,

I live in the Netherlands, and am the proud owner of a '64 Impala. It has a 6 Cyl 3.8L Engine and it still has its factory transmission. (a 3 speed manual). Recently it has started to give me some problems, and i hope someone can help me..?

When driving in 3rd gear, i can give a lot of gas and the engine does rev up, but the car does not speed up as quick as it used too, it takes a while for the transmission to 'connect' to the engine.

In my opinion this problem is because of a worn out clutch plate is that right?

Furthere, my 1964 owners manual says i should check the transmission oil, but i do not know how?

Can anyone please help me? And give me advice on what steps to take?
And does anyone have a picture of where i can find the oil-level-dipstick for my transmission?

thank you in advance..
Old July 16th, 2010, 8:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have a slipping clutch. You check the oil in the transmission by removing the plug in the side of the transmission (1/2" open end wrench I think) and sticking your finger in. If you can feel the oil with your finger, it is OK. It uses the same oil as the differential. Never heard the 230 engine called a 3.8.