Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Question on Towing with my '03 Impala LS...

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2009, 10:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by wildman
We haven't heard from DeHartShadow in a while - maybe he didn't make it?
Hehehe.... I am still here. Just been busy the last few days is all. That is funny though. You are right though, taking it slow and easy is the way to go. I will sure do my best at making sure it is balanced but with a little more weight towards the front of the trailer as U-Haul tells you to make sure you tow with 60% weight in the front and 40% in the back. My 450lb Honda Shadow will be in the middle of the trailer with some stuff in the front and in back. A bit more stuff in the front though. I am gonna keep my computer and 42" TV in the car/trunk. I will use the lower gears on the car when going down hill and be traveling between 35-45mph going up and down through the Rockies. I think if I do that, I will do alright. After that, it is flat ground and smooth sailing to NY State.

I am going to be doing an oil change (full synthetic as that is what I run in it) before I leave and replacing 2 tires that are almost to the top of Lincoln's head on a penny. Gonna pack plenty of water and at least 1 gallon of 50/50 Dex Cool Anti-freeze. I won't be running the A/C through the Rockies, but I doubt I will have to during May. I will have plenty of other fluids (oil, brake, PS) on hand in case I need them. I am even putting together a full size spare with one of the old tired I am taking off. Any other suggestions you have, throw them my way. Just don't throw the too hard, I don't want to get hurt. hehe
Old January 22nd, 2009, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

just remember, it states in the manual that when towing a trailer to drive with the gear selector in 3 not "D", especially when in hilly terrain.
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Cool

I think after a lot of thinking, I may just bypass the Rockies and take I40 east to Albuquerque, NM and the head north on I25 to Denver, CO then hit I80 east. It will add 7 hours and over 500 miles to my trip, but that may be better than risking my car.
Old February 4th, 2009, 1:30 AM
CF Beginner

Talking

You don't want to tow like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4MQE...eature=related
or like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYn_I...eature=related
Old February 4th, 2009, 5:05 AM
CF Junior Member

Wink

Originally Posted by wildman
OMG!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Umm.... yeah... definitely not. I know that is really not funny, but the last one just had it coming. Listen to wildman... Do Not Tow Like That.
Old February 4th, 2009, 5:50 AM
CF Beginner

Hello,

Not to scare you, but if you do tow with this vehicle, keep it out of OD on any kind of load. This car has the 4T65E trans and they are stripping the splines on the 4th clutch hub on their own.Hope this helps
Old February 5th, 2009, 7:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Red face

Originally Posted by transguy37
Hello,

Not to scare you, but if you do tow with this vehicle, keep it out of OD on any kind of load. This car has the 4T65E trans and they are stripping the splines on the 4th clutch hub on their own.Hope this helps
Too late. hehe

Wouldn't running the 3.8L Impala in the interstate (55-65mph) all the time in 3rd cause the trans to run hot or damage it faster (granted you would run it in 3rd or lower during ups and downs)?

What is the average life (in miles) of the transmission on the '03 Impala or 4T65E trans?

What is the average life (in miles) of the 3.8L V6 3800 Series II (non-supercharged) Engine?
Old February 5th, 2009, 9:37 PM
CF Veteran

If you decide to come through Albuquerque, remember that it's a long pull from the Texas line to here. That elevation change is deceiving. Our elevation here is 5200 feet above sea level and I think its at 1200 in Amarillo. I see lots of cars and motorhomes on I-40 with cooked tranny's because they didn't drive in third up and down the steep inclines around here. Besides, at this elevation the motor will run crappy because the sensors haven't adjusted to the elevation changes and you end up running rich. So think out the trip in regards to elevation changes when towing. Could save you a ton of grief.
Old February 6th, 2009, 7:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Gwampa
If you decide to come through Albuquerque, remember that it's a long pull from the Texas line to here. That elevation change is deceiving. Our elevation here is 5200 feet above sea level and I think its at 1200 in Amarillo. I see lots of cars and motorhomes on I-40 with cooked tranny's because they didn't drive in third up and down the steep inclines around here. Besides, at this elevation the motor will run crappy because the sensors haven't adjusted to the elevation changes and you end up running rich. So think out the trip in regards to elevation changes when towing. Could save you a ton of grief.
Actually, I am heading East from Mesquite, NV to Flagstaff, AZ to Albuquerque, NM on I-40W. Then I am going to head up the 25 North out of Albuquerque, NM to Denver, CO. Then I am gonna get onto I-80 East and take it all the way to NY State. I have been cross country via I-40 several times. I know heading West on the 40 is a tough when you hit that mountain in Albuquerque going up up up. So, I will be going down it. I will be doing 40-45mph in the right lane with flashers on in like 2nd gear going down that sucker. I am going to go this way as I have never gone up 25 and then across on the 80 before and I will be avoiding the Rockies. Should make for a nice ride. I will be taking plenty of pictures, so I will be sure to share some. I am traveling as I am moving back home to NY at the end of May (Been out west since June 2005 and have not taken any vacation).

I replaced the Air Filter, PCV Valve, Cabin Filter and will very shortly be replacing the tires. Bought a brand new Aluminum Alloy Rim on eBay for $48.00 so I would have a full size spare so I am keeping one of the old tires to use on that. Getting Class II Hitch and wiring installed on Monday at a U-Haul Dealer. Just about ready. Should be a good trip.
Old February 7th, 2009, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you are making due diligence, DeHartShadow - more than most. Just for interest, I looked up the elevations: Mesquite NV=1600 ft. Flagstaff is almost 7000 ft. Deceiving. So Gwampa has a good point. For uphill runs, I would favor transmission selector at 3 instead of D, which would kick in overdrive. I'd go 55 or 60. RPMs will be up, MPG down, but I think it would be less load on the transmission (and engine).

Quick Reply: Question on Towing with my '03 Impala LS...