Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Question on Towing with my '03 Impala LS...

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2009, 2:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by wildman
Sounds like you are making due diligence, DeHartShadow - more than most. Just for interest, I looked up the elevations: Mesquite NV=1600 ft. Flagstaff is almost 7000 ft. Deceiving. So Gwampa has a good point. For uphill runs, I would favor transmission selector at 3 instead of D, which would kick in overdrive. I'd go 55 or 60. RPMs will be up, MPG down, but I think it would be less load on the transmission (and engine).
Oh trust me I will. After reading everything on here, I will be running it in 3 and not D. Thanks guys for all your help on this subject. Hopefully this will help out others as well if they plan to tow with their '00-'05 Impala on long trips.
Old February 11th, 2009, 9:41 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Hope your trip went ok
Old February 12th, 2009, 3:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
Hope your trip went ok
Haha... I wouldn't know as I haven't left yet. I will be leaving out from Mesquite, NV and heading to Owego, NY around May 25th. The only reason I am waiting till then is my lease for my place will be up then and it gives me plenty of time to prepare and save money. I will definitely let everyone know how it went and maybe even supply a few pics too.
Old May 30th, 2009, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey everyone! I just wanted to let you all know that I made it to NY ok. I left at about 3:30pm pst from Mesquite, NV on May 21st and arrived at my destination in NY at 4:45am est on May 25th. I was surprised I was able to fit all my stuff and my motorcycle in the little 5'x8' u-haul trailer. Just for the fun of it, and out of concern (hehe), I decided to run to the city landfill on my way out of town to see how much my total weight was and just the trailer weight. The total weight was 7,000lbs and the trailer weight was 2,480lbs. I about passed out when the woman told me that. I was 1,480lbs over the max towing of my car. Well... I made it. The car seems to be alright too. The shocks in the back may need to be replaced sooner now... lol... but she seems to be alright. There is a slight difference in the way it shifts now (a slight hesitation) but it has been raining and humid and very cool here since I got here. The car is used to driving in the dry, almost 100 degree weather so I think the car is just going to take a little bit to adjust to the HUGE change in weather (gotta love computer systems on cars... NOT). I just wanted everyone to know that I made it safe and sound and did not destroy the car (at least I don't think I did) on the way here. Oh yeah... I ended up going down to I-40 in Kingman, AZ and took that east to Oklahoma City and then diagonal up to NY State instead of going down to I-40 to Albuquerque, NM... up I-25 to Denver, CO... then taking I-80 across. Thanks all for the advice for my trip. Catch ya guys later.

Last edited by DeHartShadow; May 30th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old May 30th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Impala Super Moderator

Glad you there, Have a good time.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Well your there and you didn't screw up your Imp. Now settle in an start posting again, OK? Really, nice that your home.
Old June 10th, 2009, 1:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Gwampa
Well your there and you didn't screw up your Imp. Now settle in an start posting again, OK? Really, nice that your home.
Thanks all. As far as I know, the Impala is doing fine. How is everyone else doing?
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
CF Veteran

Except for the bum knee from the wreck, I'm doing OK. Surgery next month (8th). You getting settled in? Working? Where are pics from trip? See, we still care. Ribet
Old July 5th, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Gwampa
Except for the bum knee from the wreck, I'm doing OK. Surgery next month (8th). You getting settled in? Working? Where are pics from trip? See, we still care. Ribet
You got into a wreck?!? When did that happen and how? I am slowly getting settled in. Not much for work out here yet. Still lookin though. As far as the pics, My brother took all of them so he has them and I have yet to get them from him. I will have to bug the crap out of him for them....lol. I have been keeping busy though. I am currently working on my motorcycle so I can get it running. Should be done with it in the next few weeks. The Imp is still doing good. Needs a good washing though, been tons of rain here lately and looks like 4 more days of it coming starting tomorrow. Well, I hope ya feel better soon Gwampa! As soon as I am able, and figure it out, I will try and post a few pics up on here from my trip. Take care all!
Old May 16th, 2014, 1:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Trailer Sway Control

When in doubt it's probably a good idea to look into a trailer sway control system to improve your handling, especially up in the mountains. Reese Hitches has some helpful information on their Trailer Sway Control page if you're interested. Best of luck!