Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Reduced Engine Power/ Service Traction Control Alert!

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2014, 9:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW....I came to this forum looking for help and advice regarding a very scary issue that I didn't feel should be happening to a car with such low miles...and a bunch of "armchair" mechanics a want to try ti tell me this is not a safety issue and that I am screaming unsafe without warrant? When I clearly stated it was a 2009 someone posted a link for a 2011 manual...which I clearly stated I have, accompanied by the manual that came with the car and am very capable of reading it, thank you! JimK....thank you for having my back regarding the safety issue....when your vehicle slows to virtually no power it is very scary and no matter what anyone says..THAT IS UNSAFE!! The vehicle is currently at the dealership and I will let you all know the outcome...hope to know today....sledge and blue, you make me sorry I ever came to site, that I thought I could trust to help with an issue that could be potentially life threatening!! I'll complete my rant when I let you all know the diagnosis!!
It is unsafe, it is also reality, deal with it. All vehicles have an inherent risk when driving them, it's been that way since day one, there are hundreds of reasons a vehicle could stall or shut down, and making it completely fool proof is not possible. You said that you are an IT Professional, you of all people should know how a computer will react if it is fed conflicting data. If the accelerator pedal is giving the computer conflicting data as to it's position, what would you like it to do ? There are not many choices, a shut down beats full throttle any time. Apparently you are a Armchair IT Professional. You might do your self some good by reading how drive by wire systems work, because just about every car has them and it's not going to go away. They all react the same way if they malfunction, it's not a GM thing, they all work pretty much the same on all makes of vehicles.

So far you have whined about a malfunction, posted no codes and now appears you did not even have it to the dealer to be checked out. Yet all you do is scream safety. How do you propose the auto makers design cars to behave when there is a major malfunction ? How would you design a vehicle to never stall or shutdown no matter what the situation ? What did you expect anybody to tell you ? The type of reliability you ask for just does not exist in the automotive world, the best that could be hoped for are systems like those used in commercial aircraft, if you are willing to pay 80K for a entry level compact car, that is what prices would be like to give a car that kind of reliability as it would have to be adapted to every system the car has.

It appears that the only answer you wanted to hear is that it is a major safety issue, the NHTSA should order recalls for all vehicles that do this and that GM is completely at fault. That's fine, what would you have NHTSA do about the other hundred or so reasons a vehicle could shut down? You need to be way more realistic.
Old May 30th, 2014, 2:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blue-impala
It is unsafe, it is also reality, deal with it. All vehicles have an inherent risk when driving them, it's been that way since day one, there are hundreds of reasons a vehicle could stall or shut down, and making it completely fool proof is not possible. You said that you are an IT Professional, you of all people should know how a computer will react if it is fed conflicting data. If the accelerator pedal is giving the computer conflicting data as to it's position, what would you like it to do ? There are not many choices, a shut down beats full throttle any time. Apparently you are a Armchair IT Professional. You might do your self some good by reading how drive by wire systems work, because just about every car has them and it's not going to go away. They all react the same way if they malfunction, it's not a GM thing, they all work pretty much the same on all makes of vehicles.

So far you have whined about a malfunction, posted no codes and now appears you did not even have it to the dealer to be checked out. Yet all you do is scream safety. How do you propose the auto makers design cars to behave when there is a major malfunction ? How would you design a vehicle to never stall or shutdown no matter what the situation ? What did you expect anybody to tell you ? The type of reliability you ask for just does not exist in the automotive world, the best that could be hoped for are systems like those used in commercial aircraft, if you are willing to pay 80K for a entry level compact car, that is what prices would be like to give a car that kind of reliability as it would have to be adapted to every system the car has.

It appears that the only answer you wanted to hear is that it is a major safety issue, the NHTSA should order recalls for all vehicles that do this and that GM is completely at fault. That's fine, what would you have NHTSA do about the other hundred or so reasons a vehicle could shut down? You need to be way more realistic.
Blue, you are making an awful lot of assumptions and spouting off without knowing or, apparently, caring to know the real facts. You keep mentioning codes. You say posters are making assumptions without involving the dealer. But, if you READ the posts about this problem, the people who have posted have been to a dealer and, in some cases, the problem has recurred. Nobody here is asking for your sage advice - we are discussing what appears to be a serious safety issue. If you can't contribute in a positive way, why don't you just go back to sitting on the sidelines where you can judge all you want without interfering with this discussion.
FWIW, if I were programming that computer and it detected a faulty APPS, I would have it test other sensors such as TPS, engine RPM, actual speed from the speedometer, etc. From them it could determine whether it was at full throttle or not. Knowing that sensors can sometimes fail, no single sensor failure should cause a complete shutdown. All it takes is competent programming.
Old May 30th, 2014, 4:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Blue, you are making an awful lot of assumptions and spouting off without knowing or, apparently, caring to know the real facts. You keep mentioning codes. You say posters are making assumptions without involving the dealer. But, if you READ the posts about this problem, the people who have posted have been to a dealer and, in some cases, the problem has recurred. Nobody here is asking for your sage advice - we are discussing what appears to be a serious safety issue. If you can't contribute in a positive way, why don't you just go back to sitting on the sidelines where you can judge all you want without interfering with this discussion.
FWIW, if I were programming that computer and it detected a faulty APPS, I would have it test other sensors such as TPS, engine RPM, actual speed from the speedometer, etc. From them it could determine whether it was at full throttle or not. Knowing that sensors can sometimes fail, no single sensor failure should cause a complete shutdown. All it takes is competent programming.

I was not referring to everybody else problems, just yours. The TPS sensor is not a substitues for the APPS. Al it does is tell the computer what position the the throttle plate is in inside the throttle body, it is not designed for telling the computer what the accelerator pedal is doing. The TPS was in use long before drive by wire and is nothing to do with the APPS. You truly do not understand the system. All drive by wire systems in all cars are like this, and they are not going to change it just for you. Too bad you can't You cant fix stupid.

Last edited by blue-impala; May 30th, 2014 at 4:05 PM.
Old May 30th, 2014, 4:14 PM
CF Junior Member

I was not referring to everybody else problems, just yours. The TPS sensor is not a substitue for the APPS. All it does is tell the computer what position the the throttle plate is in inside the throttle body relative to fuel and air flow, it is not designed for telling the computer what the accelerator pedal is doing. The TPS was in use long before drive by wire and has nothing to do with the APPS. You truly do not understand the system. All drive by wire systems in all cars are like this and the all will shut the vehicle down if there is a failure, and they are not going to change it just for you. NHTSA is well aware of how they work. There are numerous sensors that if they go bad will stop the engine, MAP Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, Cam Position Sensor and so on, any one of these will kill an engine. It's Too bad you can't You can't fix stupid & ignorant.

But you keep up with the crusade to get it changed industry wide and let us all know how that works out for you.

Last edited by blue-impala; May 30th, 2014 at 4:23 PM.
Old May 31st, 2014, 5:07 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was not referring to everybody else problems, just yours. The TPS sensor is not a substitue for the APPS. All it does is tell the computer what position the the throttle plate is in inside the throttle body relative to fuel and air flow, it is not designed for telling the computer what the accelerator pedal is doing. The TPS was in use long before drive by wire and has nothing to do with the APPS. You truly do not understand the system. All drive by wire systems in all cars are like this and the all will shut the vehicle down if there is a failure, and they are not going to change it just for you. NHTSA is well aware of how they work. There are numerous sensors that if they go bad will stop the engine, MAP Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, Cam Position Sensor and so on, any one of these will kill an engine. It's Too bad you can't You can't fix stupid & ignorant.

But you keep up with the crusade to get it changed industry wide and let us all know how that works out for you.
You expressed my feelings exactly! I'm done trying to respond to your closed minded opinions. End of discussion.
Old June 1st, 2014, 3:40 AM
CF Beginner

Just for your information to all of my "armchair Mechanics" the dealer said according to diagnostics the car had done thin twice (just in the month we have owned it) in I can't tell you how many thousands of starts he rattled off...the Accelerator pedal and APPS were changed and they said that if we had any further issues (which we shouldn't) to let them know....thank you all for your help!
Old June 1st, 2014, 3:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks JimK...you and I are on the same page...hopefully the problem is fixed and I don't care what any of these other "techs" (and I use that term loosely here) it is/was a safety issue and should have been reported ....maybe it could have multiple causes but to sit here and argue about whether or not is is a safety issue is idiotic....these people should know better...anytime your vehicle fails for whatever reason, there is safety involved ...my father is a GM retiree and I will always remain loyal to their brands regardless of the problems...which obviously all brands have...just wish they made them like they used to when you could go out in your garage and diagnose and rectify the problem with a trip to the auto parts store, but sadly those days are gone and technology has taken over the world...it is a blessing and a curse....but thank you for your kindness and understanding instead of having the chauvinistic moronic attitudes some others on this forum have! Have a great day and God bless!!
Old April 25th, 2017, 6:46 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

GM DTC's
Old April 25th, 2017, 6:53 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Gm dtc's

Anyone who believes GM DTC's are always accurate is kidding themselves. I have had parts returned from GM Assembly plants showing a DTC that was incorrectly triggered by THEIR incorrect diagnostics. Have seen this more than once.

GM DTC's
Old May 13th, 2019, 8:34 AM
CF Beginner

So I have had my 2008 impala for four and a half years now. When u first bought it I had to replace one of the sensors in my vent unit. Since then had no problems until today was driving to work and my car wouldn't go over 40 starting reduced engine power.i scrolled through this forum and found alot of ppl had the same problem.my question is why hasn't Chevrolet submitted a recall on the petal sensor it seems to go out on a lot of cars.

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power/ Service Traction Control Alert!