Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

short range of garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2014, 6:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default short range of garage door opener

I need to be in my drive to make the door open!
Old June 29th, 2014, 8:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohn12
I need to be in my drive to make the door open!
I couldn't even figure it out. The instructions are not understandable.
Old June 30th, 2014, 9:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same problem with my 2014 Impala. When it is FIRST started in the morning, the nose of the car has to be almost touching the garage door. At the end of the day or if I've been driving the Impala for a while, pushing the button to open the door from the street will work. I have a long driveway so 130 feet away is a good distance. I went to my dealer stating that when it is cold as in first start, there is a real short range and I asked them to check the strength of the signal from homelink when cold. I told them after driving it seems to work fine. As I figured, they could not duplicate the problem and I was told everything is working fine.
Bigjohn12, how does the remote in your impala respond when the car has been driven for a while like at the end of the day when coming home. Does it have a lot more range as I described above?
Old July 1st, 2014, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

I have only had my Impala 5 weeks and no cold weather. It just has no range. Other cars I have owned would open the garage door from 100 feet away.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:45 AM
CF Senior Member

bigjohn, I don't have any cold weather now either, but still in the morning when I first start the car, it may be 80 outside and I have no range, if I drive home for a while - typically 5 miles or so, after the car has "warmed up" it seems to work at a much much greater distance.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 8:50 AM
CF Veteran

I did a quick search online. Appears to be problem across brands. Lots of odd solutions to try too, all the way down to "use the middle button instead of the ones on the side".
Old July 3rd, 2014, 9:17 AM
CF Senior Member

Thanks sledge, middle button...... if that is indeed the case and it works, that sounds like something needs to be changed with the design of the homelink circuit board .
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:13 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Frank3
Thanks sledge, middle button...... if that is indeed the case and it works, that sounds like something needs to be changed with the design of the homelink circuit board .

Oops - I was only pointing that out as being somewhat of an absurd idea.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 10:37 AM
CF Senior Member

I heard stranger fixes... I was going to try initializing the homelink system, then relearning the remotes. I know when I originally had the Impala learn the remote, the battery in it was not at an optimal voltage. I'll see if I get better results with a fresh battery in the remote being learned
Old July 7th, 2014, 9:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Default remote wont operate gate

is the learning remote in the car designed to accept all signals? i tried multiple times programming a gate signal into the car and it doesnt work. i even cleared the car codes a few times

regular garage door always programs just fine. only thing i can think of is there's a different range of frequencies for gates vs openers?

Quick Reply: short range of garage door opener