Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

short range of garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

The HomeLink in our 2014 Impala 2LTZ still has a problem and it's starting to get cooler again and would like it resolved before winter sets in. I had gone to the Dealer but was told everything works OK with it. When the Impala is first started, HomeLink will not activate either of the 2 garage doors we have on our house. This is even with the nose of the Impala so close to the garage door it could get winged by it. I have the LH button programmed for the LH door and the RH button programmed for the RH door. Next, if I drive the Impala downtown for maybe 3-5 miles, come back home and try the HomeLink buttons, the HomeLink control will work 110 feet away at the end of the driveway by the street. My 2012 Volt and 2002 Tahoe work fine with both doors regardless of whether the car was just started or driven for a distance. As a matter of fact, I often use one of those vehicles to close the door when leaving since I usually cannot run out of the garage without tripping the safety eye that is connected to the opener. We have Chamberlain openers on both doors. Any ideas? I was hoping the Service manual was out for the 2014 Impala so I could look at it more in depth.
Old October 14th, 2014, 5:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

We regret to learn this issue with your HomeLink persists, Frank3. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help with this issue.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 13th, 2014, 11:46 AM
CF Senior Member

I called the dealer this morning about the problem. They said they were going to "research" the problem and get back to me. After explaining what is going on, the Service Write said, "This one has me scratching my head and could be difficult to solve". I told him I've already erased and re-programmed the homelink to eliminate that from the equation. I also told him my 2002 Tahoe with Homelink and 2012 Volt with Homelink, do not have this condition. All he could say was, I'll get back to you when I find something. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old November 13th, 2014, 1:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank3
I called the dealer this morning about the problem. They said they were going to "research" the problem and get back to me. After explaining what is going on, the Service Write said, "This one has me scratching my head and could be difficult to solve". I told him I've already erased and re-programmed the homelink to eliminate that from the equation. I also told him my 2002 Tahoe with Homelink and 2012 Volt with Homelink, do not have this condition. All he could say was, I'll get back to you when I find something. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Frank3, check this out.

Did up another google. Took me here:

Garage Door Opener : Interior

Which took me here:

http://www.homelink.com/

Then:

http://www.homelink.com/faqs

Range troubleshooting tips:

Range issues can be caused by interference near the vehicle or home or due to the use of older batteries in the original transmitter during programming.
  • Put a new battery in your handheld transmitter. Training the HomeLink® takes more power from the battery than when you push the button to open the door. Sometimes by putting a new battery in the handheld transmitter, it does help pick up a better signal and increases the range.
  • Retrain the HomeLink at different distances and angles. Start by holding the handheld transmitter 3-4 inches away, then 5-6, and even 6-8 inches from the buttons. Sometimes this helps pick up a better signal to HomeLink.
  • Try a second transmitter with new batteries.
  • Straighten the antenna wire that hangs down from the garage door opener motorhead.
Old November 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks Sledge.impy, now I have something solid to check out. I had reprogrammed the homelink in the Impala but it was still acting the same. I picked up a new battery after reading the info you provided. I will try another reprogram with new bats after I complete what the dealer wants me to try. What puzzles me is how the car will work fine and have a range of about 135 feet after it's been driven for a few miles. However if from a cold start, you're lucky to get a foot beyond the garage door.
The owner of the Chevy dealer called me after hours to clarify some details I told the service writer about the homelink problem. He wants me to try having the car in different positions in the driveway from a cold start, then if it doesn't work from the new position, to see if I can operate the door from that same position while seated in the car and using the hand-held opener supplied withe the garage door opener.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 7:59 PM
CF Senior Member

FINALLY, an update/fix on the homelink short range problem on my 2014 Impala. After weeks of working with the dealer,initializing the homelink in the Impala,then relearning the remotes with brand new fresh batteries in the original remotes, then initializing the garage door openers themselves and repeating the whole process. I finally got the dealer listening that we covered all the other bases.

It's a good thing I had my copy of the service manual, since the dealer also had me doing tests of having the car running to make sure all modules had woken up. However the homelink module according to my schematics gets +12V, GND and the illumination level signal to control how bright the leds light up, AND operates when the car is off or not remote started, just like my 2002 Tahoe and 2012 Volt do.

So, this past week, the dealer had the homelink module replace in the Impala. When I got home, I programmed the openers to the homelink module, but had to wait until the morning to see if it worked correctly. Wouldn't you know it when I would go outside in the morning to test it, my wife would have the car already heading down the road to work.

This weekend, I finally got to the car before she got hold of it. I unlocked the door and without starting it,I pressed the homelink buttons. The doors went up without a problem and at a range much further than before.
Old May 21st, 2015, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I havent linked my remote garage door opener to my homelink yet but my hand held remote worked from about 100 ft before on all my other vehicles and now with the 2014 Impala LTZ i have to aim it at side window of my car from about 5 ft from door now. I havent tried it yet but i wonder if cracking my window when pushing remote will help because of the tightness of the car windshield doors etc.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 10:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Windows as a rule should be transparent to RF as used with remote garage door openers UNLESS they have a tint on them that contains metal which would attenuate the signal. Are your windows tinted with an aftermarket tint? I don't know if they use metal tinting from the factory in the windows.
Old May 22nd, 2015, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

My 14' 2LT hasn't had any issues opening my garage door opener. I programmed it in a few minutes using the Owner's Manual and it worked fine. I can open the door from the front of my drive pulling in, about 80 feet or so. Bummer it took so much aggravation to get it to work right Frank3!
Old June 1st, 2015, 2:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Smile shorter range to longer range garaged door

spray wd 40 on panel let it soak in real good.wipe with microfiber towel. repeat if necessary

Quick Reply: short range of garage door opener