Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

speedometer hand going wild

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2018, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer hand going wild

On my 2009 chevy impala the miles per hour hand is jumping around. Some times it jumps up to around a 100 mph while sitting still in drive at idle. This effects the engine also. This started about a week before the shifting started to sound like it was shifting up and down while driving at a low speed around town.
Hope someone can enlighten me as what could be the problem.
Thanks in advance
Old May 1st, 2018, 3:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could this be the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or a bad motor for the speedo?

Last edited by Frank3; May 1st, 2018 at 3:39 PM.
Old May 1st, 2018, 3:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank3
Could this be the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or a bad motor for the speedo?
Yep. If it's affecting rpm's IMO it is the speed sensor.
Old May 1st, 2018, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default speedometer hand going wild

I tried to get to the speed sensor but no luck. Just couldn't see how it was attached. It looked like there was a line clipped to the threads of the sensor and I have no idea how the line came loose. Other than that I believe I could have changed out the sensor. So I carried the car to my "trusted?" car mechanic and they had it repaired in one day at $275. I think the part was about $35 and the rest was labor and shop things. They gave me a 12 month warranty.
By the way, I have no idea what that line with the clip was. It didn't look like it was part of the sensor. It just looked like they anchored another line to the stud that held the sensor in place.
Old October 3rd, 2021, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1999 Silverado Z71 transfer case VSS wiring diagram

Originally Posted by Landon37
I tried to get to the speed sensor but no luck. Just couldn't see how it was attached. It looked like there was a line clipped to the threads of the sensor and I have no idea how the line came loose. Other than that I believe I could have changed out the sensor. So I carried the car to my "trusted?" car mechanic and they had it repaired in one day at $275. I think the part was about $35 and the rest was labor and shop things. They gave me a 12 month warranty.
By the way, I have no idea what that line with the clip was. It didn't look like it was part of the sensor. It just looked like they anchored another line to the stud that held the sensor in place.
I am having the Same issue. Was wondering if you have a schematic?
Old October 4th, 2021, 11:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mmonster30
I am having the Same issue. Was wondering if you have a schematic?
No schematic. Just gave up on it and let the mechanic repair it.