Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

stabiltrak, abs, power steering message

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stabiltrak, abs, power steering message

Stabiltrak message displays, ABS message displays and power steering message states warning power steering may be affected. It is affected, Power steering does not work. Took it into the dealership and they said it was the right rear wheel bearing. I replaced that and no change to the vehicle. All messages still appear and power steering still does not work.

Took car for short drive after replacing the wheel bearing assembly and all three messages cleared, power steering came back online functioning properly. Not sure why GM would purposely link a wheelbearing warning to the power steering. Maybe for service revenue. The dealership I took it to quoted $571 to replace the right rear wheel bearing assembly. First question was after only 58,000 miles why the wheel bearing would go out. I questioned how a wheel bearing error would take out the power steering. Answer was, wheel bearing sends the ABS code, which, sends the Stabiltrak code which takes power steering offline. They couldn't really say why or justify. The wheel bearing assembly I removed didn't have any noticeable play or obvious issue, new one was $55, 2 hours on a Saturday morning and I was done.
I drove it 45 miles after replacing and clearing all codes, no additional problems yet.

Last edited by 2014 Impala; August 27th, 2017 at 8:06 AM. Reason: Update to information