Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Stalling issues and misfire and breaks/steering

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2012, 1:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stalling issues and misfire and breaks/steering

So I have a 1980 impala 4 Door 305 4BBL 3 speed auto with 80k orginal, it seems to shake when running as if it has a misfire. It needs a tune up oil/Distributor cap and rotor/sparks and wire/tires I bought it from a retired gentlemen for $1000. Not a spot of rust and for the most part runs decent.

I am having several problems with it. One being the steering it feels loose and likes to glide to the right. I'm not sure if it just needs an alignment or the front end needs work. There is no whine from the power steering.

My second problem is when ever the rear end of the impala is facing down a hill when put into reverse or drive it stalls out.

I'm also having break issues, the breaks seem to be squishy and there is a weird air sound when I pump the breaks.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2012, 9:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Post Stalling issues and misfire and breaks/steering

Welcome to the forum. Loose steering is due to the misalignment of any part or any loose mount in the steering mechanism. Secondly, brake issue is a very common issue and was discussed many times. BTW, just bleed the brake and remove any entrapped air from the fluid. It will solve both the brake problems.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:12 PM
CF Veteran

is the weird air sound a hiss from the firewall/pedal area? booster could be leaking