Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2006 impala service traction control

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2012, 8:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 impala service traction control

hello everone. im new to the forum. i recently purchased a used 2006 impala it has 135000 km on it. recently driving on a clear day i got the message SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL. and it got activated...and the engine light also comes up on the display... how could i get rid of this prob plzzz help..
Old February 25th, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Fix the cause of the malfunction indicator light and, chances are, the TC problem will fix itself. The TC is not possible without the fully operational powertrain management (engine and transmission) and ABS. Consider getting it serviced. You need to find a good service department or competent repair shop that's not just going to flop around throwing parts at the problem.
Old March 10th, 2012, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

i suspect if he wanted to pay a mechanic to handle the problem, he wouldn't have taken the time to make the post?

vancouver - get a reader (like scangauge) and see what codes you are throwing. cross-reference the results here: OBD-II Trouble Codes - DTC Codes Car Repair

this is where i would start. good luck.
Old March 10th, 2012, 8:35 AM
CF Veteran

Welcome to the forum. For something like TC, you need to be able to scan and run diagnostics on multiple control modules. Most hobbyist scanners are inadequate to the task, not to mention the hobbyists' level of expertise.
Old March 14th, 2012, 11:26 PM
CF Beginner

thanks everyone for ur help ..
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

I wouldn't call someone who is looking to diagnose a problem with his vehicle a hobbyist. What is the point of posting mechanically related questions on here just to have "experts" tell the poster to take his car to a garage?
Old March 15th, 2012, 9:00 PM
CF Veteran

with the technology and way things need tested these days a lot of things are beyond the capabilities of your average driveway do-it-yourselfer, a lot of resources like these forums are mainly for piece of mind, just my 2 pennies

with that being said its hard to give you any kind of direction without knowing the codes, as EinST said theres a chance they could be related so its tough to give a quick answer.
Old March 18th, 2012, 5:33 PM
CF Veteran

Rob (in Alberta, Canada?), check out camperbc's thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cav...bration-49443/. The CEL has been on for a while (however long that means) but the dude apparently lives on a remote island so he can't get to a mechanic. I'm tempted to suggest a new car but maybe you have a better idea?
Old May 21st, 2012, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

I recently had this issue and i resolved it by purchasing 2 wheel hubs from ebay and had them installed.

I think i ruined my wheel hub when i was cut off by an advanced driver in his senior citizen age. I hit the curd damaged my right front wheel and from there i began having issues with my vehicle. Replced the front wheel, new tires, new rotors, new pads, then finally the wheel hub which was the actual fix.
Old May 21st, 2012, 7:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez84
I recently had this issue and i resolved it by purchasing 2 wheel hubs from ebay and had them installed.
Illumination of the Service Traction Control and/or the ABS lights due to worn wheel bearings on the W body platform is fairly common. It sounds like you found your problem, but purchasing an off brand hub assembly from eBay (or anywhere else) may have been a bad decision. From what I have seen you will probably be doing the job again in a very short period of time. Your best bet is to use a quality part like Timken or SKF. You will pay a little more up front, but in the long run it will be less expensive compared to purchasing multiple hub assemblies and the time/frustration of having to do the job again.

Quick Reply: 2006 impala service traction control