Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Theft Deterrent System Making it impossible to drive my car safely

Search this Thread

Old February 11th, 2018, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Theft Deterrent System Making it impossible to drive my car safely

Hi everyone,

I have a 2014 Impala LTZ which is having issues with the theft deterrent system I believe. Thursday morning leaving work is when the system notification first happened, but only after my car was having issues starting. I got home safe and was able to get everything working so I didn't think anything of it. That night however when I went into work, my car wouldn't start. The battery was completely drained. Next day, get the battery checked out and recharged and the battery itself is completely fine. The car will now start, and the FOB can lock, and unlock the car. I should mention however that my car is supposed to be push start, but will not start up unless I have it in the alternate starting spot, located in the center console. That is usually only needed if the battery in my FOB has died, but I had that battery replaced only a few months ago. When I place it in there, the car will start after a few seconds of holding the button. The radio and console screen will not be on until I press the radio power button. My dash is not working at all. None of the gauges work. I have no speedometer. And the hardest part is I have no heat, and my city has accumulated over 16 inches of snow in the past two days. I made the mistake of trying to drive and could hardly see. I have a shop appointment tomorrow morning, but I have to drive over 14 miles to get the that shop and to my job.

Does anyone have any clue as to how I can at least get my heat working again so I can see out of my windshield?
The following users liked this post:
Latasha Carter (January 19th, 2020)
Old February 11th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

this all occured after the battery went dead.....when the battery slowly dies....modules (computers that run every option the car has....probably 20 modules on this car) set codes and lose communication. LOW VOLTAGE: this triggers the theft deterrent system. When fault codes are set, it will inhibit the remote start.

without a scan tool there is little you can do. You could try a postive battery disconnect, fully charge the battery with a charger. Then connect the battery cable back to the battery. this is not a fix...only somthing that may reset the hvac.
the dealer will have to figure out why the battery died...a parasitic draw test may be in order.
Old February 16th, 2018, 8:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this pertains to the push-button starting with the Impala, BUT my 2012 Chevy Volt has push-button starting as well AND I believe, (correct me if I am wrong) that if you hold the push button in for a few seconds on the Volt, it goes into a service mode. I thought I remember reading something that if you did not do something in a certain fashion, it would leave some systems running and drain the battery.