Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Various Electrical Issues - Lights

Search this Thread

Old September 1st, 2017, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Various Electrical Issues - Lights

I have an '02 Impala (base model, 3.4l) that's starting to have more and more electrical issues.

At first, I thought it was just the light switch for the cabin lights. They just come on by themselves. If I turn the switch on, then off, they turn off for a few minutes then on again.

But, then more started to happen. I noticed that it only happened during the day, or when say at a drive through at night with lots of light. But, driving down the back roads at night when it's dark, they don't seem to come on... unless I press the button to raise/lower the driver side window.

Then noticed that during the day (not tried at night) when I put the window down all the way, the switch then locks the car doors.

Also, some days I turn the car on, and the window that shows P R N D 3 2 1 and the mileage, is dead. Tap the dash a few times, and it slowly fades back on.

Not sure if this is just how the Impala's are or not, never noticed it before but, during the day I can't turn the high beams on/off, but seems fine at night... again never noticed before if that was the case or not so may/not be related.

Any ideas? I disconnected the battery for 24 hours, read somewhere maybe resetting the BCM may fix it, but no such luck. Again at first I figured buy a new switch and done, but before I had the chance realized that it had a few other issues and issues changed based on light conditions. I'd say light sensor in the dash but, why would it affect the window switch and cabin light switch?
Old September 7th, 2017, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone?
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm not sure it has a BCM, but if it does, that's what I consider replacing as all the symptoms you describe all point to it. Not sure about it NOT having a loose connection however with the odometer
Old September 12th, 2017, 12:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2001 Impala LS had a BCM in it. When I brought it to the dealer for some wacky stuff going on, they scanned it and were able to retrieve some codes from the car. I can't remember the exact codes but they were related to headlight shorted to +12V, horn shorted to +12V. All they did was reseat the horn relay and re-route some horn wiring which did not fix the issue. They did give my wife the DTC codes they found on the RO and I used my service manual to look them up. I had my wife tell them to replace the BCM. Problem solved. You may want to see if you can get it scanned for any codes.