Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Voice Pass Through -> '14 2LTZ-> Not

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2014, 9:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luckydriver
with my android 4.X phone i cannot do more than say dial 5551212. i tried saying 'dial lisa' but it doesnt work. if are you supposed to be able to do more than saying dial then the number id love to figure it out. i also find its not even that reliable on the voice number dialing

i do also have an issue where when i enter a new contact on the phone it doesnt update on the car display. even after rebooting the phone. after a while then it does though.

and while the car will turn off the radio when the phone rings. i wish it would turn off the radio when i get a text too. should it be doing that?
With Google Voice search, there are quite a few things you can do. Not sure if my Android version on my custom ROM has anything to do with that...it's 4.3.1.

I'm curious about your comments about a text...does your system read out text messages? Mine does not. Our Lexus does, and emails, but not the Chevy.
Old April 14th, 2014, 9:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
Do you have voice commands enabled on your phone?

Can you say cheese and your camera will snap a picture?
I'm not sure I can 'ebable' voice commands. Is that a TouchWiz function? My ROM is not based on TouchWiz.

What I'm wanting to have happen is what can be done with a blue tooth, where you press the button and launch Google Voice, or some other selected application (which may need special setup).

Because I don't use blue tooth headsets any more, I haven't chased getting that operational on my phone.

My assumption that it doesn't work on the Chevy is based on what the manual said to use, which the system seems to not even understand. I thought maybe it was because my phone either didn't support it, or I need to set something up. That is why I started a thread to see if anyone else is successfully using it.
Old April 14th, 2014, 9:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 56_kruiser
I'm not sure I can 'ebable' voice commands. Is that a TouchWiz function? My ROM is not based on TouchWiz.

What I'm wanting to have happen is what can be done with a blue tooth, where you press the button and launch Google Voice, or some other selected application (which may need special setup).

Because I don't use blue tooth headsets any more, I haven't chased getting that operational on my phone.

My assumption that it doesn't work on the Chevy is based on what the manual said to use, which the system seems to not even understand. I thought maybe it was because my phone either didn't support it, or I need to set something up. That is why I started a thread to see if anyone else is successfully using it.
Settings -> My Device -> Voice Control (off/on)

4.4 kitkat offers more fine grain control from what I can tell... android 4.3 is on/off across everything?
Old April 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
CF Junior Member

4.4 kitkat offers more fine grain control from what I can tell... android 4.3 is on/off across everything?
I don't have a My Device option in settings on this ROM, which is not kitkat. It's 4.3.1.

Maybe I need to find a kitkat ROM. This one has been so solid, I've been reluctant to change.

I finally got time to watch the videos. Interesting, on the second one, she says it works on Android, but so many different apps. Would be great to see a demo of one that does work.

At this point, I'm getting the impression that so far, no one reading this thread has actually gotten that working on their Android.

I think I'll research KitKat. ONe thing that is off on mly ROM, Google Voice does NOT recognize when I say "Ok Google". So, some things are not functioning on this ROM.

Lovin' the car.
Old April 18th, 2014, 4:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Latest update...

I installed a different version of 4.4.2 KitKat (Quantum 3.66). It does work with the blue tooth headset I have for voice commands.

I do NOT have a Settings/Mydevice.

I still cannot get it to work with the voice button in the Impala. It seems to me that the Impala just is not passing through. I'll mention again, the manual says to say "Blue Tooth Voice"...but it doesn't know that command at all.

Anyone getting that to work?
Old April 19th, 2014, 6:40 PM
CF Veteran

On my GS4, Android 4.3, I say 'bluetooth voice' and nothing happens except it wants me to pair another phone or device. (I think this was one of your top posts).

I verified my voice commands were on.

I'll try tomorrow pairing my Note 3, v4.4.

But saying "Call Joe Smith" calls Joe Smith from my contacts. That does work.

I think maybe only Siri works.
Old April 19th, 2014, 8:07 PM
CF Junior Member

On my GS4, Android 4.3, I say 'bluetooth voice' and nothing happens except it wants me to pair another phone or device. (I think this was one of your top posts).

I verified my voice commands were on.

I'll try tomorrow pairing my Note 3, v4.4.

But saying "Call Joe Smith" calls Joe Smith from my contacts. That does work.

I think maybe only Siri works.
I'll be interested to hear what you find.

ONe of the linked videos on the previous page, the person who appears to be a person that 'trains' on the Chevy before it goes out the door (I have no idea if that's the case)...says that it does work on Android...depending on the phone, and the app, etc. That being said, it is not demonstrated on either Siri or the Android.

The "Call..." whomever is a function that works with the phones...but is not a pass through of commands. At least that's my understanding.
Old April 20th, 2014, 6:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 56_kruiser
I'll be interested to hear what you find.

ONe of the linked videos on the previous page, the person who appears to be a person that 'trains' on the Chevy before it goes out the door (I have no idea if that's the case)...says that it does work on Android...depending on the phone, and the app, etc. That being said, it is not demonstrated on either Siri or the Android.

The "Call..." whomever is a function that works with the phones...but is not a pass through of commands. At least that's my understanding.
Ok - I got a whole lot of nowhere today ... but closer?

both 4.3 (GS4) and 4.4(Note 3)

Started Samsung "S Voice" app.
In the app's menu
- Turned on hands free mode.
then the option for "Connect to vehicle" is there.

Select that.

Then another screen comes up.
Then "Select Method .. Select how to recognize location'
Then those options are 1 "Wi-Fi", 2 "Bluetooth", 3 "None'.
Chose Bluetooth.

Then it comes back with BlueToth available devices list:
"Chevrolet MyLink... connected to phone and media audio"

Then exit that.
Then under car "Bluetooth... Chevrolet MyLink"
Clicked Save.

Then come back to S Voice screen with it telling to say "Hi Galaxy" to wake it up.

I kept pushing the bluetooth button and saying "Bluetooth Voice".. One time is said no such contact in my phone list. Other times it called voicemail!

There's a list of S Voice commands ... I even called my GS4 from my other GS4 and the phone's voice system took over - but the car did nothing.

Turning off hands free no longer would show a way to connect to the car.

So - maybe it is time to find another Android voice app?.
Old April 21st, 2014, 4:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Beginning to feel like the manual, and the video, is just completely wrong.

If I make any progress, I'll post it here. ONe of my problems could be I'm using 3rd Party ROMS (which typically offer more features, but you lose Samsung features).
Old July 15th, 2015, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default any updates on this?

Did anyone ever get any further on this? I severely miss this feature it used to work great on my 2009 silverado and now on my 2014 silverado, nothing, zippo. It just doesn't pass the bluetooth through to the phone. With my 2009 I used multiple different phones with custom roms all the time it was never an issue I just made sure I had the Klets app installed and after I hit the button on the steering wheel and said bluetooth > voice the klets app was ready to take any command I sent to it.
I talked to mylink support multiple times and each rep said it should definitely work. When I went to the dealership and told them about the issue and they just looked at my sideways.

Quick Reply: Voice Pass Through -> '14 2LTZ-> Not