K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

1972 blazer: replaced alternator now shows overcharge

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2017, 7:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1972 blazer: replaced alternator now shows overcharge

Bringing this 1972 Blazer to life, replaced the alternator at AutoZone and now the gauge runs all the way up as I push the rpm's up. Shows good at idle though. Never ran the engine before the new alternator so I can't say how the old alternator acted. Warming it up today to set timing with timing light and I saw small wires near battery get hot to touch but not when driving, maybe air flow cools them, but can't go on like this. Probably take alternator back to AutoZone but I never had this problem, any ideas out there?
Old July 14th, 2017, 2:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I thought I already posted to this. Does it have an external voltage regulator?
Old July 15th, 2017, 8:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Now why didn't I think of that?

Thank you, I'm pretty sure you nailed it, I'll know in the morning when I replace the external voltage regulator. Feel like a dummy but it's been a lot of years since I worked on one with this old technology. The regulator is next to the radiator and I had to lean way in to see it. I overlooked it during the weeks that I worked on all the other stuff but due to brain overload I neglected to imagine the consequences of a faulty regulator. This is a "one owner" Blazer and the guy told me he never took the top off in all those years. I found it simply by driving along the two lane just a couple miles from my place in southern Ohio. I'm posting photos here to show the situation as I found it in the barnyard. it took me five hours last May to dig it out and position it for towing. Then ten weeks or so to weld in new rockers and floor pans, install timing gears, water pump, Quadrajet 7042210 rebuild, gas tank and all lines, master cylinder and all lines, all new body mounts, rear wheel cylinders and brake hoses, new radiator core support and radiator, thermostat, plugs, wires, points, cap, rotor, oil pan gasket, oil and fuel filter, transmission filter and gasket, Flowmaster muffler, new coil, tires, brake pads all around, probably forgot to mention something but you get the idea. Not going to modify anything I don't absolutely have to, even leaving some some rust holes and original 15" wheels and crusty steering wheel. Looking forward to topless Blaze'n down the country roads ASAP. Thanks again (hope the photos show but if not I'll try again with others of how it looks now with the top off)
Old July 15th, 2017, 8:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it has the point regulator, you can upgrade to an electronic one. I had the points sticking in my 70 Olds, this would drain the battery when it wasn't running. I upgraded for $15 replaced it.
Old July 17th, 2017, 7:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Default new voltage regulator did the trick

I installed the new voltage regulator yesterday and the gauge shows steady at just past the center mark. Thanks again. The electronic point conversion sounds interesting, can it be done without changing the distributor? Can you give me a product name for the unit so I can pick one up? Still trying to post photos here but no luck yet. I'll keep trying. ( when I choose photos and hit "upload" it just says "connection problems")
Old January 11th, 2018, 2:31 AM
CF Beginner

https://www.google.com/search?q=poin...99988077430019
Old January 11th, 2018, 7:11 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-1973-G...xXj8DV&vxp=mtr