K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

1989 Chevy 350 floods after warming up

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2011, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Chevy 350 floods after warming up

1989 Chevy 350 tbi in k1500 truck. When cold starts and runs fine, but after it has warmed up it suddenly starts to dump fuel and floods out. Once in a while holding accelerator to floor and starting will actually get it to start, but usually have to wait until it cools down and then it starts again. Replaced the gasket under throttle body, because it was leaking, changed plugs, cleaned rotor and distributor cap, check EGR valve, IAC valve, changed coil. I'm stumped. Once in a while the check engine light comes on, but does not stay on. have not hooked to computer yet, because can't depend on it to make it into town to the parts store to check it. Anyone got any thoughts?
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry I don't have the answers you need, but I need the same answers. I have what sounds to be the same problem. It will crank up and run fine for about 5 min. then the drivers side injector starts dumping fuel and filling up the bowl while at idle. when you touch the gas in floods and stalls. I still have not found what is causing the injector to do that, but there's got to be something telling it to spray fuel like that. I'm hoping some type of sensor. Somebody has to know what's causing this
and hopefully we can get some helpfull info, cause i'm not going to start replacing
stuff just guessing. Anyways, good luck and i feel your pain.
Old June 19th, 2011, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default Answer to flooding

Turns out it was the choke sensor. located near where the radiator hose goes into the manifold there is a sensor screwed into the manifold. Mine was broken. $20 part and it runs like a champ. Hope yours is the same problem, because it was an easy fix.