K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

37" boggers on standard axle?

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2010, 4:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 37" boggers on standard axle?

hi, im thinking about fitting 37" boggers on my 79 blazer. i also intend to fit a fairly strong engine at some point. does anyone know if the oe diffs and halfshafts are strong enough to take this combination for long,or am i goin to expect some breakage? i know theres a lot of variables in this question, as to the age of my axles,and how much abuse i give them, etc. my only experience till now has been with landrovers,and the halfshafts in those dont take too much abuse even with standard wheel size!thanks
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll be fine.. the onl thing i would invest into is some gears for it.. you'll need them with 37" tires. might buy a spool for it while your at it
Old June 6th, 2010, 3:43 AM
CF Junior Member

a spools a diff lock innit? good plan,thanks.
Old August 8th, 2010, 6:37 PM
CF Pro Member

those axles will break if pounded hard especially with 37" tires, i would be looking for a corporate 14 bolt rear and 12 bolt front and get spools for them, if anything ever breaks with spools it is the spools themselves saving the rest of the parts, you will probly rip up universal joint in the front axleshafts of your 1/2 ton axle, but again it is all in how u will drive it, shock the $hit out of it all the time doing reverse-drive-reverse stints when stuck will definately kill them
Old August 9th, 2010, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

you sound like youve broken some before! ha. yeah id pretty much decided to run smallish tyres for now,as parts are fairly hard to find over here,and the truck is gona get thrashed!!
Old August 14th, 2010, 1:29 AM
CF Pro Member

well...things happen... your truck could handle 33" tires but in those do or die situations they could fail you, but with 31" tires they should be more than fine, just remember to change the diff fluid
Old September 28th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ofc!

ya! you'll probably need something other than stock on pretty much every drive line accessory as long as you aim high like that! no wonder why the suspension manufacturers also make those with the kits they sell! I know a guy who did one of those crazy mods...bought all the drive line accessories and since his project was all about chrome theme, he had it painted in chrome!but anyway, since you backed off from that, I hope ur current mods are serving your purpose, at least part of it!
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
CF Junior Member

still havnt got any tyres yet as the truck hasnt progressed much over summer! will be back on it soon,im thinking to get 31" maxis mudzillas now as boggers are a bit pricey over here.should do the same job i reakon..
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Pro Member

another tip, if this truck is strictly off road weld up the spider gears, makes the axle a posi and makes it a bit stronger, and money make the decisions, so get what u can buy, good luck and it will be cool as hell driving an old blazer through the streets of england lol
Old October 4th, 2010, 2:39 AM
CF Junior Member

ha yeah,nobody else got a chevy round here, its all landrovers ,daihatsus or suzukis,so should be good,my friends allready makin excuses for their inferior vehicles!lol. weldin the axle is definately an option,as it is an offroader only,unless i can get it registered for the road as some kind of forestry machine!?!. im still scanning ebay for a 14 bolt axle,no luck yet tho .im orderin my tires today,found a good price on the mudzillas

Quick Reply: 37" boggers on standard axle?