K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Looking at 89 k5

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2016, 5:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 89 k5

Hello all,
I am looking at a 1989 k5 with a 454 swap.
Is their anything I should be looking at in particular. It's $3200 has a leak from the steering box, rear main seal, and power steering pump. Any estimate on repairs?
I'm stationed overseas rightnow and my dad is looking at it for me so a majority will be repaired at a shop.
Old August 21st, 2016, 5:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Well, the truck is 35 years old, I'd reconsider even with the 454 engine that is alot of $ for a K truck. IMO
Old January 25th, 2017, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the parts that are leaking could/would cost you about $1000.00 and just swap them out with RockAuto parts. I'm pretty sure you have a 1 piece main. I bought my truck it was far away, but it was in West Texas, and had been all of it's life so I was sure after a Carfax that it rust free. And I paid a lot more than your price. But stay away from any trucks that you can't see and they are in flood or states who swear by SALT on the roads. Nasty, Nasty stuff. Have your dad to see if he can have a trusted garage owner to put it on the lift and look the underside over. Things like surface rust on the frame or suspension parts are OK Lower control arms, Differential and any " lite" rust is OK so long as it doesn't involve a trip to the body shop. My Blazer came from West Texas and it had 117 baseball sized hits. We changed the hood completely as it was cheaper to replace than mud it. The frame and it's structure is the most important thing. Good luck and thank you for your service.