K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Turbo 350 Slips from 3rd gear to 2nd (before and after complete rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 350 Slips from 3rd gear to 2nd (before and after complete rebuild)

Turbo 350 transmission downshifting to 3rd gear under minimal pedal/load at highway speeds. [KICK DOWN CABLE IS NOT HOOKED UP]

Pulled (3 times) in the past 2 months by a retired transmission tech with 25 experience and completely gone thru EACH time. Transfer case also gone thru.

1974 K5 Blazer 350 engine/turbo 350 trans/ 208 transfer case 4x4

When the truck is cold (trans fluid cold) it will shift up through the gears fine. On the highway (50 mph) the trans will stay in 3rd gear under minimal pedal and minimal grade (low load). Encountering a hill or maintaining a higher speed it will shift to 2nd gear. (Again the kickdown cable is not hooked up). After the fluid temp is up even on city streets at 40 mph 3rd gear is hard to maintain and/or even get.

I checked the governor and it is moving freely/ teeth are in good condition. All the valves within the body are moving freely. New vacuum modulator. I have not measured bores or valves for tolerance. Coming on when the temperature rises makes me lean toward an issue of metal expansion/contraction. Has anyone come across this kind of issue? HELP PLEASE!