K5 Blazer 1969-1994
While this model ended its run, it is not uncommon to see them on the road or off, years after production end.
Platform: Truck, GMT 400

Starts great, won't idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2010, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts great, won't idle when warm

The engine starts great but after 2-3 minutes it won't idle. It has run like a champ until 2 days ago and only has about 1300 miles on it. It is a 350 bored 20 over, camel back heads with Edelbrock Performer cam, intake and carb. everything else is pretty much stock. I took it out muddin about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine all week after that. The Could this be a bad choke?
Old May 27th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 86K5toy
The engine starts great but after 2-3 minutes it won't idle. It has run like a champ until 2 days ago and only has about 1300 miles on it. It is a 350 bored 20 over, camel back heads with Edelbrock Performer cam, intake and carb. everything else is pretty much stock. I took it out muddin about 2 weeks ago and it ran fine all week after that. The Could this be a bad choke?
You can pull the air breather off and inspect the choke. When cold the primary butterfly should be closed to allow a richer mixture. When the engine warms it should open. I would be thinking more a electrical issue with your recent muddin trip.

I would look at the distributor, cap, rotor. Fairly common issure after a wet condition. If OK then next check plug wires.

Another issue with older vehicles is always the catalytic convertors. The go out and plug up at most any moment.

Just a few ideas.....
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I have checked the distributor, plugs and wires and they are all fine. I had planned to take the cat of this weekend anyway so that may do it. Another post had talked about when the EGR valve is bad or stuck it creates these same symptons so I will check that too. Thanks for you suggestions!